omnipus
Topic Author

Battle Maps

Sun 13 Dec 2020, 11:31

The included battle maps are quite nice and stylish, but there certainly will be a need for more -- and I also wanted to do something at a bit larger scale, where longer-range weapons and vehicle maneuvering might play out a bit more. So I started making some, based on real maps of Poland. Here's the second attempt. Technique still needs a bit of work but it'll definitely do the job and I'm on to the next one!

Hangfire

Re: Battle Maps

Wed 16 Dec 2020, 00:01

That looks great! Any chance of a hex grid laid on top of that? I know, beggars and all of that. Please, keep up the great work.

omnipus
Topic Author

Wed 16 Dec 2020, 02:16

Oh yeah, I can do that... I'm importing them into Foundry personally so it takes care of that part for me as a system.

Tell you what, I'll probably work up another one or two of these to my satisfaction and then I can post them together with and without hexes.

AEB

Wed 16 Dec 2020, 05:19

Great looking map.

I am using Dungeon Draft to make my maps, as I already use it for D&D. Are there other good cheap or free map making software out there?

Also I found this program which gives you a road map for for the whole of Europe.

https://www.oldmapsonline.org/en/%C3%89 ... &scale_to=

omnipus
Topic Author

Wed 16 Dec 2020, 09:35

Can't help you with that, sorry. GIMP is free, and there are free web-based image editors. I haven't really liked the visual style of any of the dungeon map creators I've seen. I use Photoshop.

And that's a cool resource for seeing what roads should actually be there! There's been a lot of development in the last 30 years, of course. I've been comparing Bing with Soviet maps. The Soviets made the best maps!

But in any case the goal is to be accur-ish. I just want something that feels right, it doesn't have to be perfect. It just happens that starting from reality helps a lot.

Hangfire

Wed 16 Dec 2020, 14:24

Oh yeah, I can do that... I'm importing them into Foundry personally so it takes care of that part for me as a system.

Tell you what, I'll probably work up another one or two of these to my satisfaction and then I can post them together with and without hexes.
Thanks, omnipus, that's great. You're importing images from google maps directly into Photoshop then? Are you just screen capturing them? They look great and should work very well when used on a VTT.

I found this web site: https://spatialillusions.com/unitgenerator/

Which lets you generate PNG files of NATO military symbols (you get to design them), which I'm going to use on a large overview map to show starting positions of known units for my players. Of course, I'll keep updating it with hidden counters as the units disperse and begin searching for survivors of the Kalisz disaster.

paladin2019

Wed 16 Dec 2020, 17:04

Which lets you generate PNG files of NATO military symbols (you get to design them), which I'm going to use on a large overview map to show starting positions of known units for my players. Of course, I'll keep updating it with hidden counters as the units disperse and begin searching for survivors of the Kalisz disaster.
HERESY!! You'll do it the old fashioned way, in PowerPoint, hoping the 3 doesn't look at them too closely, like God and John Moses Browning intended!

"Sir, what does JMB have to do with icons?"

BLAM!

(Just to throw a little 40k into the T2k. ;) )

omnipus
Topic Author

Wed 16 Dec 2020, 21:54

Thanks, omnipus, that's great. You're importing images from google maps directly into Photoshop then? Are you just screen capturing them? They look great and should work very well when used on a VTT.

I found this web site: https://spatialillusions.com/unitgenerator/

I'm using a few map libraries actually, depending on where seams are, etc. For photography, Bing is usually the best I've found. Then I'm painting over it all anyway to get a slightly looser look (that also reads better). I still have more development to do on my technique here.

That's a good find. I already grabbed all the NATO unit symbology off of Wikimedia as SVGs... now I just gotta define an object class for units and get them implemented on the world map. Always more to do. (Edit: your site is probably easier actually since I can just go ahead and put the division sizes and maybe even IDs on there without having to edit all my existing graphics... save a couple steps)

omnipus
Topic Author

Thu 17 Dec 2020, 06:37

Okay so that's mostly done now. (using mostly information from 1st Ed. stuff)

paladin2019

Thu 17 Dec 2020, 07:13

Historical note: the symbols used on omnipus's map are in in accordance with FM 101-5-1 of 30 September 1997. It supersedes the edition of 21 October 1985. These are most likely the versions used for any period the game covers, as the transition from simple color changes to differentiate between friendly and enemy units to different shapes (which are useful regardless of color) was well underway and the FM merely caught doctrine up to practice. When I moved from Fort Polk (following a deployment to Haiti) to Germany (joining a deployment to the former Yugoslavia mid-stream) in 1996, I experienced the transition full-on as the USAREUR unit had already transitioned to the 1997 version.

So what? If you want to emphasize individuals "stuck in the past," have them use either red/pink rectangles or uncolored rectangles with double line borders for enemy forces on the handouts you give to your players.