AEB
Topic Author

[FUN] Soundtrack to Twilight 2000

Sat 12 Dec 2020, 16:54

The last of the squad slowly mounts the track. The driver mutters a short prayer before the engine kicks over and sullenly grumbles into life.

It's 300 clicks to Krakow, 6,000 clicks home. You have a belt of 50s for the ma deuce, half a tank of hooch for the track. There is only static on the radio, black smoke in the sky, and a bombed-out road heading South. As the track rumbles forward you reach down and press play on your Panasonic Shockwave. The CD whirls into life and....

What plays?

Ever since Edison invented the recording device, war has had a soundtrack. Lili Marlene, Fortunate Son, even Teenage Dirtbag. So what songs would be played in July 2000 at the end of everything?

My suggestion.

Who Will Save The World - by Modern Talking

Father they have written
On the point of no return
Soldiers they will come and
Oh they're coming to burn
(I said) Oh boy, we need your hope to live
Oh boy, you have so much to give
Oh boy, don't let it get you down

Who, baby, who will save the world ? (it's not too late)
Who, baby, who will save the world ? (all heroes hesitate)
I'm too young to die
I'm too young to die

Father, I've been looking
Through a rainbow of tears
Found yourself so lonely
Oh they're drowning in my fear
(I said) Oh boy, I'm old enough to know
Oh boy, that it hurts to grow
Oh boy, don't let it get you down

Inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aPM4XZUbO4 - they actually played the song in the BTR.

What song would play on your Walkman when the world has collapsed into sorrow, mud and flames???

Ser Stevos

Re: [FUN] Soundtrack to Twilight 2000

Sat 12 Dec 2020, 23:28

When I've been prepping session, I've either had Vietnam Era music on or Sovietwave from the 80s-90s. Really sets the mood before a session!

omnipus

Sun 13 Dec 2020, 00:55

"Nochnoe Randevu" by Chernikovskaya Hata is a good one.

If you're into irony, "Winds of Change" is the obvious call.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

Langdolin

Sun 13 Dec 2020, 03:25

How about. Out in the fields by Gary Moore.

Evildrsmith

Sun 13 Dec 2020, 14:27

"Darkness be my friend" by Bruce Dickinson, perhaps? ("Nothing lasts forever, but the certainty of change")

paladin2019

Sun 13 Dec 2020, 19:11

If 99 Luftballons and Land of Confusion aren't on the list, something is wrong. (English version is okay, Disturbed, unfortunately, is a bit anachronistic.)

aramis

Mon 14 Dec 2020, 06:11

Can't do a post-60's war setting with the Stones' Paint it Black.... (1966)

Pretty much most of the 1990 to 1996 range is going to be stuff the PC's listen to, and I might foreshadow by having pirate radio play key bits...

I'm looking forward for foreshadowing with a mix of Aqua, NIN, Rolling Stones, Les Miserables cast recordings, Jewel, Spice Girls...

Maybe even some BTO and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

A few lines, here or there.
I can't use background music; the increased difficulty of understanding speaking over music is not worth it for me.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

AEB
Topic Author

Mon 14 Dec 2020, 06:13

I use the music more as inspiration while putting together a campaign, to set the mood and tone.

Great suggestions so far.

Of course you can go for moments like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXjXmvy-c34

Acebuckeye13

Tue 15 Dec 2020, 07:45

I think game soundtracks often work well for RPG background music, especially as they're often written to be background music. For instance, in a session I ran last week, I had this music from the Halo: Reach soundtrack playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWKJj57A5IM

Stuff like this often works really well, in my experience—light enough that it doesn't overpower the actual game, but present enough to set a tone and mood for the game (And to fill dead air while the GM is rummaging through their notes).

On a related note, if game soundtracks aren't your thing (Or you're struggling to find an appropriate piece), the site Tabletop Audio has a ton of selections for ambient sounds and music for all kinds of different locations and situations, and is a great resource for any GM, regardless of the game. Highly recommend it!

Black Vulmea

Wed 16 Dec 2020, 00:24

NIИ

"Terrible Lie," "Down in It," "Head Like a Hole," "Wish," "Happiness in Slavery," "Suck," "Big Man with a Gun," "Eraser," "I Do Not Want This," "March of the Pigs," "Hurt" - all released 1994 or earlier.

I was up above it - now I'm down in it . . .