andresk

Re: [FUN] Soundtrack to Twilight 2000

Thu 01 Apr 2021, 13:52

World in Conflict is a thematically fitting video game. It also happens to have a soundtrack. Can't really remember any particular songs standing out, but maybe someone will find it useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEbmlLPIsPs

Angelus1753

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 16:14

World in Conflict is a thematically fitting video game. It also happens to have a soundtrack. Can't really remember any particular songs standing out, but maybe someone will find it useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEbmlLPIsPs
I was about to post this!!!
Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World

I can't hear that song without thinking about WoC.
After the last mission when the guy finally finds batteries for this newfangled thing called a 'CD Player' :)
Very well done by that team. I still play that game every now and then just for the feel.

guilee

Sat 20 Nov 2021, 09:49

What about Seal: Crazy?

Oddball_E8

Sat 20 Nov 2021, 16:21

When I've been prepping session, I've either had Vietnam Era music on or Sovietwave from the 80s-90s. Really sets the mood before a session!
I mean... during the Gulf war and the like, soldiers mostly played whatever was popular at the time.

Playing Vietnam era music seems... off... to me...

I mean, during the invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 and Iraq in 2003, it was mostly Metal and Rap being played, with Bodies by Drowning Pool taking center stage.

I'm guessing in the late 90's it would have been something similar (although Bodies hadn't been released yet, so couldn't become the frontrunner).

Now, me being an old shithead, I won't know anything about Rap or Metal in the 90's, but I do know that Metallica became a household name in the mid 90's, and their aggressive music would surely be popular with young soldiers in the field.

I'm not much into Rap or Hip Hop, so I'm far from an expert, but I know that Beastie Boys - Sabotage came out in '94, LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out came out in 1990, KRS One - Sound Of The Police came out in '93 and House of Pain - Jump Around came out in '92 and to me those all would work as settings music for the game too.
But like I said, my knowledge about 90's music and Rap specifically is very limited.

In those days, I only listened to Punk, Metal and older rock.

EDIT: Further adding to this argument of mine of making the "soundtrack" as current to the setting as possible, one should consider that most soldiers would be under 20 at the time the war broke out.

And from working with kids and teenagers for the last 21 years, I can honestly say that before they get into their mid 20's or so, most 'young folks' tend to only like contemporary music (not all, but the vast majority) and thus any unit of young soldiers would be listening to pretty current music.
And the song the OP suggests (just as an example here, not trying to get into an argument with the OP or anything) is 10 years old by the time the war breaks out. Which means that most soldiers would have been around 8-10 years old when it was an actual hit.

Hell, I work with 10-12 year olds right now and if I play anything older than like 5-6 years they're all whining about how I always play "old music".
And god forbid I put anything on from the 20th century... Because that stuff is "ancient".

Byrax

Sat 20 Nov 2021, 21:55

The Vietnam war was the only war with it’s own soundtrack.

My take, based on 37 years playing rpgs; well-known music with lyrics from a specific era, fitting a specific game/time-period, actually disrupts immersion. Players will focus on their own memories, and not the game. By all means, use the music during char gen/downtime/prepping or in a game when it is actually played in a scene for some reason, but use fitting non-identifiable sound/tunes/ambience/background instead when playing. Even when playing Alien or The One Ring, use the respective soundtracks sparingly.

Higgipedia

Sun 21 Nov 2021, 04:13

I was looking on Wikipedia to get some ideas for what the soundtrack would sound like and looking at the Billboard charts and stuff from 91-96. I have a feeling that a lot of bored joes were doing the macarena.
DENNIS HIGGINS
Check out the Black Sheep War Journal in the Free League Workshop!

tgunner91

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 01:04

When I've been prepping session, I've either had Vietnam Era music on or Sovietwave from the 80s-90s. Really sets the mood before a session!
I mean... during the Gulf war and the like, soldiers mostly played whatever was popular at the time.

Truth. I'm a Gulf War vet and I was rocking out to a somewhat older album when I deployed: Hysteria by Def Leppard.
There are a lot of great songs on that album, but Gods of War and Run Riot are the songs I associate the most with the Gulf War.
Nothing like jamming out to Run Riot while in an Abrams!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bptSnf6PBos

Your point would stand- the guys would be listening to the popular music of the time with metal and rap, and some country, having the edge.
However I would add that the entertainment industry would be rather... quiet (?) by say '98. I imagine that they would be too busy trying to
survive instead of recording more music.

A truly scary thing- I got my final discharge in '97! I'm certain that I would have been recalled and
sent over to Germany for this war. Hell, I was a 19K10 and was 26 in 1997...

Huh. I wonder if I should "roll" myself up???

LOL!

Ursus Maior

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 11:16

Huh. I wonder if I should "roll" myself up???
I GMed a two-part one-shot for my birthday where all my friends, except one playing the mission commander, played themselves. We're about 5-10 years younger than you are, I assume, so some tweaking had to be done, e. g. the Bundeswehr drafted some with highschool diplomas isseud one year early like early German militaries did in 1918 and 1945. One of us played himself as if he'd never left Poland for Germany in the 1980s and had ended up Polish anti-communist resistance.

It was a fun game, but we used archetypes. No way, you're landing even close to yourself when rolling up characters.
liber & infractus

Jaxa

Tue 23 Nov 2021, 01:22

My players are traveling in medical version of Tarpan Honker and they have only one mix-tape of greatest Polish hits from 1994 to early 1997. So I have playlist for all travel shifts.

Today I opened my session with song from my favorite polish war movie from 90s - "Demony Wojny wg Goi".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOYO4dpHpJA

KastorKrieg

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 14:12

I've recently used Pantera's "By Demons Be Driven".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isYmSQks5Z4