Fenhorn

Re: To Aim or Not

Mon 07 Dec 2020, 23:35

Although in other YZE-games they have the "standard", one slow action for a normal attack and and a fast action for some aiming bonus. So I wonder why they changed that in this.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

welsh

Tue 08 Dec 2020, 00:03

I would say they changed that to make hits less likely, which is in my view a good thing.

Fenhorn

Tue 08 Dec 2020, 02:01

I did a test with RAW using 3 US soldiers vs. 3 marauders (I used an ambush map and tokens). I knew that the US soldiers would win this but I chose the have marauders against them because they will most likely be overrun, their only chance is to move, take cover, be prone and so on. The US soldiers won with 3-0. There where some half-n-half dangerous attacks from the marauders. First, this took me back a little (I used to play a lot of war games once upon a time) but it was also fun, from a tactical point of view. I think aiming works perfectly as they are. It will take some time to get used to though.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ser Stevos

Tue 08 Dec 2020, 06:30

I did a test with RAW using 3 US soldiers vs. 3 marauders (I used an ambush map and tokens). I knew that the US soldiers would win this but I chose the have marauders against them because they will most likely be overrun, their only chance is to move, take cover, be prone and so on. The US soldiers won with 3-0. There where some half-n-half dangerous attacks from the marauders. First, this took me back a little (I used to play a lot of war games once upon a time) but it was also fun, from a tactical point of view. I think aiming works perfectly as they are. It will take some time to get used to though.

Very interesting! It just seems like a case of learning a new action economy and how to work with it. Personally, I know my group is going to have to get use to the range of engagements. Perhaps why we had an issue with characters having to "enter combat" and firing from the hip and using up the fast and slow action in that crucial first round of combat. Much larger engagement ranges than what would happen in a sword and magic type of game!

Tomas
Site Admin

Tue 08 Dec 2020, 13:04

I would say they changed that to make hits less likely, which is in my view a good thing.
That's exactly right. Shooting without spending a fast action to aim allows moving in the same round, so this is basically a move+shoot action.
The overall idea here is that we want to emphasize suppression + movement to move into a better position to take out the target as key in combat - actually hitting a target on your first shot from a long range is intended to be difficult. That said, if further testing (including by backers) indicate it's too difficult to hit, we'll tweak it.
Fria Ligan

rennarda

Wed 09 Dec 2020, 14:02

Also there's no relationship to Ammo dice. Adding Ammo dice to an attack means you fired more shots, which presumably took you longer! Should adding Ammo dice mean you lose your quick action too? This might only be a fair trade off if ammo dice are more effective though.