welsh

Re: [ALPHA] Illness (rabies especially), wounds, hygiene, and more fun stuff ....

Sat 12 Dec 2020, 18:42

Another fun disease to add: tetanus!

With all those wrecks and ruins filled with nasty bits of rusty metal just waiting, waiting I tell you, to inflict puncture wounds on your soft and squishy PCs....

Nicolas Michon
Topic Author

Re: [ALPHA] Illness (rabies especially), wounds, hygiene, and more fun stuff ....

Sat 12 Dec 2020, 20:29

Normally, most (European) people will have had their DTP (diphteria - tetanus - polio) shots. They're valid for 10 years, and you'd think that (at least in the military) they'd have made sure mandatory vaccinations were up to date. But if not ..... good way to lose an arm. OK, I should stop coming up with all of these nasty things that don't go bang but can kill PCs, I'll never find victi.... errr, players for my group. :-D

Aldaron

Sun 13 Dec 2020, 14:13

Scurvy will be an issue. With an absence of fresh fruit, and Vitamin C supplements being raided, there'll be a bunch of people finding old scars breaking down and their teeth falling out.

AEB

Mon 14 Dec 2020, 06:40

Given the lack of uncontaminated water hygiene would suffer. Lice would be an issue and lice spread Typhus. Also eating undercooked food leads to intestinal parasites.

But TW isn't Pandemic Inc, and having the characters constantly sick and soiling themselves wouldn't be much fun..

welsh

Mon 14 Dec 2020, 07:24

Getting clean water would be as simple as boiling it. I think this problem is overstated in the rules, because the possibility of simply boiling water to kill bacteria and parasites is never mentioned. And there are probably more saucepans in Poland at this point than there are people; it shouldn't be hard to scrounge something up to boil water in.

AEB

Mon 14 Dec 2020, 07:45

No need to boil washing water if you are using alcohol for fuel. Methanol will kill bacteria as well as ethanol.

I just think that we are all overthinking things and ignoring that the charts are a guide for the Referee and not a straightjacket.

omnipus

Mon 14 Dec 2020, 21:24

Am I crazy or does it not actually say anywhere in the current rules what radiation DOES? I re-read it several times and it goes into how you get rads, and treat them, and check for them... but not what happens as a result?

Fenhorn

Mon 14 Dec 2020, 21:27

Am I crazy or does it not actually say anywhere in the current rules what radiation DOES? I re-read it several times and it goes into how you get rads, and treat them, and check for them... but not what happens as a result?
It is a disease. How to get Radiation Sickness p.78 and what it means is on p.79.
edit: You suffer damage every now and then until you either die or is treated.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

omnipus

Mon 14 Dec 2020, 21:58

Ah thank you.