Aldaron
Topic Author

Piloting aircraft - skill?

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 08:20

I have in mind a fighter pilot shot down over Poland (US Air Force, most likely; possibly USMC). As far as their piloting skill goes, I'm trying to figure out what the nearest equivalent would be. I initially thought a specialty of "Driving", but it just doesn't feel right. There's at least an order of magnitude difference between driving a car vs a motorbike, and driving a car vs. flying an F-15 Eagle.
I realise that 4E is very much going with the idea of simplifying things by minimising skills...but I'm thinking there really *has* to be a piloting skill if there will be any kind of option for a daring aircraft theft of some kind, at some stage (which I think would be fun).

Fenhorn

Re: Piloting aircraft - skill?

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 08:27

Well there are no planes in the base game. if they are added in later modules they most likely add rules for it then. There is also the option to make some specialties a 'required specialty' instead of just a bonus if you have it specialty.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

AEB

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 15:33

The main issue is that aircraft will require avgas or jet fuel, as well as parts and proper maintenance. All of which will be in short supply in July 2000.

Of course the background is a great one - Col. Andy Tanner from Red Dawn was a great character - but unless there are aircraft to fly a piloting skill may be a tad redundant.

Spartan-117

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 16:28

Come on fellas... this is an easy one to fix and Piloting has been in the game since 1.0 rules. Have any of you read Free City of Krakow? It's like the FIRST of the OG modules and has a helicopter AND 1000 liters of AV gas.

Page 38, Para 2, GDW 501 - "It is possible, however, that Twilight: 2000 characters might come across both a helicopter and a supply of fuel."

You guys are standing on the backs of the guys who built this industry (GDW) - try to be true to that legacy. They didn't specify a version for that statement.

People are offering you feedback because they want this to succeed at their table; like myriad TW2K games before.

This really needs another look.

Fenhorn

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 16:46

Come on fellas... this is an easy one to fix and Piloting has been in the game since 1.0 rules. Have any of you read Free City of Krakow? It's like the FIRST of the OG modules and has a helicopter AND 1000 liters of AV gas.

Page 38, Para 2, GDW 501 - "It is possible, however, that Twilight: 2000 characters might come across both a helicopter and a supply of fuel."

You guys are standing on the backs of the guys who built this industry (GDW) - try to be true to that legacy. They didn't specify a version for that statement.

People are offering you feedback because they want this to succeed at their table; like myriad TW2K games before.

This really needs another look.
This is the base game. There is a limit how much you can add in a book (both stats and rules for it) and as I mentioned above, additional modules are planned, one about boats, one about cities and one about large battles and they probably have more plans that that.

Spartan-117

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 17:15

A one line speciality that says Driving skill can be applied Rotor Wing or Fixed Wing aircraft is all that's needed and unlikely to bust the word count. I note that there are no pilot rules in the TW2K 1.0 rules - those were added when The Free City of Krakow came out.

Which brings me to another point - begin with the end in mind. If you are going to have a bunch of modules later that expand on PC abilities in the future, consider putting some hooks in now...

Fenhorn

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 17:19

A one line speciality that says Driving skill can be applied Rotor Wing or Fixed Wing aircraft is all that's needed and unlikely to bust the word count. I note that there are no pilot rules in the TW2K 1.0 rules - those were added when The Free City of Krakow came out.

Which brings me to another point - begin with the end in mind. If you are going to have a bunch of modules later that expand on PC abilities in the future, consider putting some hooks in now...
There is a specialty called Pilot in the game and also an optional rule about specialties that if your group want you can have some specialties act as a requirement in order to use the vehicle or equipment. I will do that in my game for just the Pilot specialty, perhaps even some other specialties. So my guess is since there is a specialty for Piloting there will be something to fly, eventually.

Spartan-117

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 17:41

Fair enough, I missed that. Good deal.

omnipus

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 20:28

There's also the rather unfortunate Paratrooper specialty that you can get.

While I think jet fighters and so on should be an extreme rarity in this world, there would still potentially be a lot to be said for single-engine prop planes -- which can also easily be converted to run off of gasoline. (alcohol, perhaps not)

I think it would be silly to take up space on the character sheet with such an edge case so I will do the same as Fenhorn and simply make it a required specialization.

aspqrz

Tue 01 Dec 2020, 10:47

Aircraft should not only be in use, but they should be in common use.

No, not Fast Movers. Combat Jets.

Ultralights.
Crop Dusters.
Civilian Light Aircraft.

They can all perform militarily useful roles (Recon, Transports etc) ... and even be armed.

Even Swedish ones ...

Malmö Flygindustri MFI-9 Junior
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malmö_MFI-9

... which was armed and used in ground attack in the Biafran Civil War.

These don't always need Jet Fuel or even AvGas. They WILL be used.

Even in the original modules there were Ultralights and even Dirigibles.

Phillip McGregor
========
Author: Space Opera (FGU); Rigger Black Book #1 (FASA); Orbis Mundi 2, The Marketplace, Ithura & Porthaven, Fantasy Europe (PGD); Road to Armageddon & Supplements, Displaced, Audace ad Gloriam, Farm, Forge & Steam (PGD).