Baloo
Topic Author

[Alpha] Playtest Feedback

Sat 28 Nov 2020, 20:59

I’ll try to keep this short and sweet.
I’m coming from 30 years of GMing, have worked on game design, and am very familiar with MY0 engine.
Player’s handbook was a great read. Enjoyed the T2K rules and style. Created two PCs with only some minor hiccups. Here’s the good and the bad:
+ Liked the mishap rules
+ The A-D(/F) rating system felt cool, initially sceptical to different dice but warmed up to the idea
+ Lifepath creation is a treat, big fan
- Character sheet attributes and skills need some aligning with Player’s Handbook.
- Draft rules don’t make sense for intelligence background
- Option to sell/buy equipment from start would be an improvement

Performed a playtest combat scenario: travel by foot in heavy rain followed by a firefight ambush of three marauders along a rainy dirt road. First impressions:
+ Suppression rules!
+ Rolling for quick movement and reloads great for tension.
+ Infected wounds are nice
- Figuring out which dice to use after applying modifiers actually did turn out to be a hassle – it slowed things down
- Counting ammo dice slowed things down a bit
- Yeah, chance for mishap due to ammo dice is too large
- NPC’s in Referee’s handbook are missing CUF stat
- Needing to recheck/calculate weapon range after movement slowed things down

Brain-stormed suggestions:
  • OK, I’m not a fan of needing to figure out what kind of dice to roll, constantly swapping back and forth as modifiers change. Regular MY0 engine is much smoother. I understand how current 2DX setup contributes to good balance of the basic mishap rules, but would prefer alternative based on D6’s only: e.g. A-rating = 5D6, 1st attribute/skill die is “mishap die”. Snake-eyes on mishap dice = mishap. 6’s from other die can be traded to cancel mishap.
  • Simplify ammo counting. First ammo die expends 1D3 rounds, all others 5 rounds? First ammo die becomes mishap die if ROF used is 3+?
  • Standardize weapon ranges, provide a quick chart of range bands, or at least provide weapon range bands to character sheet. Fire and manoeuvre needs to be instinct, not a math exercise.
  • Liking the focus on critical hits, but am still divided on the number of PC hit-points. Seems like too many, even if hit capacity is used for more than just weapon damage. Half may be too few, even if life in T2K is cheap. Somewhere inbetween?

Tomas
Site Admin

Re: [Alpha] Playtest Feedback

Sun 29 Nov 2020, 19:24

Great feedback, thanks!

As for stepping up/down dice, yes it does take a little getting used to, we noticed that in internal playtesting as well, but our experience is that it flows pretty naturally once you've done it for a while. :)

As for weapon ranges, we did consider standardized range bands, but that would mean we lost a way to differentiate between weapons. Using varying effective range, we can effectively make some weapons more accurate than others, at longer ranges.
Fria Ligan

Vader

Re: [Alpha] Playtest Feedback

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 10:35

As for weapon ranges, we did consider standardized range bands, but that would mean we lost a way to differentiate between weapons. Using varying effective range, we can effectively make some weapons more accurate than others, at longer ranges.

And I like the way you did this! A very good mechanic, with reasonable results IMO, at least as far as I've seen so far.
[i]Before[/i] clicking that response button — [i]are you sure you actually [b]read[/b] it?[/i]

...[i]and[/i] checked if something more was posted on the subject [b]after[/b] it? ;)