swedishtrex
Topic Author

[ALPHA] "so i am missing x vehicle/gear/weapon"

Fri 27 Nov 2020, 12:58

Hello

Like most of you i am reading through the alpha and like most if have atleast skimmed the gear part and went "but hey, what about that ikv 91" (insert your fav cold war gearpiece/vehicle). For obvious space reasons they proably had to cut down to a limited number of items per faction but what about us making a list, easy for oversight of the top items missing, i dont mean some odd firecontroll bmp variant that you can mod quickly but more chassi types, main rifles missing etc. Either there can be some community based discussion and creation of stats for them or maybee it was just an oversight in the game and it is added but eitherway having it structured in one thread is proably better and easier for anyone searching for the info, if there are enough entries maybee someone will make a magic pdf about it.

Vader

Re: [ALPHA] "so i am missing x vehicle/gear/weapon"

Fri 27 Nov 2020, 14:14

Sounds good!

I like the way the hardware chapter is set up, but I do find it a bit redundant that the same weapons are double-listed as generic civilian weapons — e.g. Beretta 92F/M9; Glock 17/Pistol m/88 ("Pist 88" is later nomenclature).

What I lack so far in hardware is also connected to the worldbuilding. In my view, both the HK G11 and the Strv 141 should be listed, but the way the world currently is written, I can see why particularly the G11 wouldn't be; the Strv 141 still being a bit more questionable.
If the Strv 141 isn't there, the Strv 122 should be, as deliveries of it had been going on for a year by the time the war started.

But Strv 103...? Seriously?
[i]Before[/i] clicking that response button — [i]are you sure you actually [b]read[/b] it?[/i]

...[i]and[/i] checked if something more was posted after it? ;)

swedishtrex
Topic Author

Fri 27 Nov 2020, 14:39

Sounds good!

I like the way the hardware chapter is set up, but I do find it a bit redundant that the same weapons are double-listed as generic civilian weapons — e.g. Beretta 92F/M9; Glock 17/Pistol m/88 ("Pist 88" is later nomenclature).

What I lack so far in hardware is also connected to the worldbuilding. In my view, both the HK G11 and the Strv 141 should be listed, but the way the world currently is written, I can see why particularly the G11 wouldn't be; the Strv 141 still being a bit more questionable.
If the Strv 141 isn't there, the Strv 122 should be, as deliveries of it had been going on for a year by the time the war started.

But Strv 103...? Seriously?
Now call me silly but what is a strv 141 ? I thought i had a pretty decent check on them but i never heard of that one.

103c ended its service in our time 97 i think, the same year it realy kicks off according to the timeline, there would be plenty of them in good shape, surpluss of ammo and tons of trained crews, i think they would are a verry logical inclusion.

Vader

Fri 27 Nov 2020, 14:46

Now call me silly but what is a strv 141 ? I thought i had a pretty decent check on them but i never heard of that one.

You probably know it as Strv 2000. Had it entered service, it would have been known as the "Strv 141" (first tank with 14cm main gun).

It was going to be the new Swedish MBT to replace the 103 and 104, until the Cold War began fizzling out, at which point a cheaper course of buying a foreign tank was decided upon (as a major break with Swedish Cold War defence procurement policy, according to which critical systems cannot depend on foreign suppliers).
It was the main alternative until 1991, and the formal decision to drop it wasn't made until 1992.
[i]Before[/i] clicking that response button — [i]are you sure you actually [b]read[/b] it?[/i]

pansarskott

Fri 27 Nov 2020, 14:51

Strv 141 / Strv 2000 never got into production: https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/ ... 00-t140-40

Strv 104 (Centurion) was in service until 2000 (in the real timeline). There were ideas for further upgrades.

M1A2 upgrades started in 1996 IRL

I like the grouping of similar vehicles. BMP-series etc.

There's some duplication between US and Swedish weapons. They could be duplicated in the stats table only, not in the images and text if that would give room for more unique items

Vader

Fri 27 Nov 2020, 15:04

Pskott — you put the finger precisely on the tender spot: what did exist IRL, what didn't, what didn't but should, and what did but shouldn't, according to where the game's timeline differs from the historical. Tomas has e.g. determined that the Strv 122, which did start delivery in 1996 historically, still shouldn't by the game's timeline. Curious as to why, though.

Oddball_E8

Fri 27 Nov 2020, 15:45

So... I'm not gonna get into the Strv 2000 discussion again.

BUT, I did get slightly sad that I didn't see any of the 9x39 russian/soviet weapons.

Most, if not all, of them went into production during the 90's, and should be available to soviet special forces.

Evildrsmith

Fri 27 Nov 2020, 17:45

Not so much missing as a change:
Lose the Saracen from the other military vehicles list - long since out of service.
Replace with the Saxon (basically an armoured truck, not an APC, but at least it was in service, and would be right for UK including Ulster, and also BAOR in what had been rear areas)

Also, add in:
The Alvis Stalwart truck (or the Amfibiebil 101 or ~101c, for the Swedes out there :) )

pansarskott

Fri 27 Nov 2020, 18:09

Gotland is kind of out of scope it seems, but just as with Strv 104, other old stuff ended up there
When Evildrsmith wrote about armoured trucks, I remembered the "KP-Bil"
https://arsenalen.se/en/katalog/terrang ... kp-kp-bil/

Soviet stuff that's missing: BMD-series

US: different HMMWV variants. The stats say M240 MG, but the pic has a Mk19.

But on the other hand, the game doesn't have to have stats for everything and the kitchen sink unless it make a difference when playing. The only diff betweeen Glock 17 and Beretta 92F is 2 rounds in the magazine.

A rarity score would be a better addition in this kind of game.

swedishtrex
Topic Author

Fri 27 Nov 2020, 19:36

Soviet stuff that's missing: BMD-series
the lack of bmd series especially considering the active use of the paratroopers from the ussr in the game is weird, if anything it should have been more used than the bmp in sweden for example, atleast initially.