Greyson2013
Topic Author

Languages

Wed 02 Sep 2020, 01:25

How are languages being done via game mechanics?

Jizmack

Re: Languages

Sun 06 Sep 2020, 21:55

Good question. If you want realism and play as a US soldier in Europe, then it’s definitely a major concern.

Does anyone recall how it was handled in the first edition rules?

Langdolin

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 19:35

If I recall you had to have the skill in that language. Other wise you were lost. I think you could try an intel check. But was vary difficult.

Vader

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 20:20

Not sure the new edition will work like that.

The old T2k was more skill based, but it seems that in the current draft, the game only has twelve skills — four basic attributes, and three skills per attribute. Skills can then be further "fine tuned" with specialties.

"Languages" can of course made one of the three "intelligence" based skills, with individual languages being separate specialties — and this might already be the case, for all I know; in which case; case closed.
But if not ... then I have difficulty seeing how it would work.
Last edited by Vader on Wed 09 Sep 2020, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
Before clicking that response button — are you sure you actually read it?

sellanraa

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 22:07

That's my biggest concern - the lack of depth in skills. I don't need them to be as deep as 1st edition, but 12 just seems stunningly minimal. I'll be curious how this plays out.

Arrigo74

Thu 10 Sep 2020, 16:36

me too... but until they give us a draft pdf... I would not go with only a couple of videos of people that maybe even made plenty of mistakes...

Jizmack

Thu 10 Sep 2020, 19:07

Not sure the new edition will work like that.

The old T2k was more skill based, but it seems that in the current draft, the game only has twelve skills — four basic attributes, and three skills per attribute. Skills can then be further "fine tuned" with specialties.

"Languages" can of course made one of the three "intelligence" based skills, with individual languages being separate specialties — and this might already be the case, for all I know; in which case; case closed.
But if not ... then I have difficulty seeing how it would work.
The skills presented so far do not include language.
Strength skills: heavy weapons, melee, stamina.
Agility skills: driving, mobility, ranged combat.
Intelligence skills: recon, survival, tech.
Empathy skills: command, manipulation, medical aid.

I would argue against language being an intelligence based skill. It should be based on Empathy. Trying to understand what someone is communicating without knowing their spoken language requires intuitive social interactions.

Character background can include what languages you can speak, and your fluency level. Learning a new language or improving your fluency can be the same as with skills.

Vader

Thu 10 Sep 2020, 21:40

Interesting viewpoint, re. Empathy vs. Intelligence...

I'd be inclined to agree that "communication" in general can be an Empathy skill, but "language" specifically seems to me a very systematic and structured mode of communication, and one that needs to be learned, with grammatical structure, vocabulary, and whatnot, and should thus be a more Intelligence based skill.
Before clicking that response button — are you sure you actually read it?

Arrigo74

Fri 11 Sep 2020, 13:21

I see Command more as an intelligence and technical skill rather then Empathy. Leadership on the other hand... like Medical aid, you need to have basic medical knowledge to do it well. If you need a surgery... you prefer the nice emphatic lady... or the obnoxious bastard... of superbly trained surgeon?

:mrgreen:

Jizmack

Fri 11 Sep 2020, 20:48

Well, it doesn’t matter so much how we define Empathy vs Intelligence. The game designers have linked skills to these attributes that shows how they defined them.

Intelligence skills = Recon, Survival, Tech.
These skills don’t involve interacting with people.

Empathy skills = Command, Manipulation, Medical Aid.
All of these skills involve directly interacting with people.

From this, I would reason that language would fit best with Empathy... for this game.