PMF
Topic Author

Combat is the dealbreaker

Thu 20 Aug 2020, 18:58

I'm a long-time gamer and I bought 1e of Twilight 2000 back in the day. I never had much of a chance to play it, but this is one of those games that I have always admired from a distance. Having been a teenager during the 1980's, the Cold War setting makes me feel young again.

Anyway, the biggest issue I've had with previous editions of Twilight 2000 is combat. Getting shot is normally a bad thing. I don't like games where getting shot means you just check off a few hit points, slap a band-aid on your wound and keep playing as if you only suffered a mosquito bite. Combat should be something you want to avoid unless you are very, very sure you're going to win the fight without getting hurt. (And even then...)

So what do we know about combat in this new version? That's what might determine how excited I get about this. I've never joined a kickstarter before, and I'm sorely tempted with this one!

Fenhorn

Re: Combat is the dealbreaker

Thu 20 Aug 2020, 19:28

Not much but on this Sunday (23 Aug) 3 Skull Tavern will have a play test of the game and I would be very surprised if action wasn't one of the components in that play test. It starts 9 PM CEST (3 PM US Eastern).

It will be available later (Tuesday I think) on Youtube.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Attackmack

Thu 20 Aug 2020, 19:51

I'm a long-time gamer and I bought 1e of Twilight 2000 back in the day. I never had much of a chance to play it, but this is one of those games that I have always admired from a distance. Having been a teenager during the 1980's, the Cold War setting makes me feel young again.

Anyway, the biggest issue I've had with previous editions of Twilight 2000 is combat. Getting shot is normally a bad thing. I don't like games where getting shot means you just check off a few hit points, slap a band-aid on your wound and keep playing as if you only suffered a mosquito bite. Combat should be something you want to avoid unless you are very, very sure you're going to win the fight without getting hurt. (And even then...)

So what do we know about combat in this new version? That's what might determine how excited I get about this. I've never joined a kickstarter before, and I'm sorely tempted with this one!
Judging from Free League's other games, (Alien and Forbidden Lands specifically) you will not be disappointed. Combat in both those games are extremely deadly and unforgiving. While we dont know much yet, Id be surprised if this game is any different on that front.

Oddball_E8

Fri 21 Aug 2020, 20:09

Well...

I played Forbidden Lands with a group of 3rd graders this summer and one of them got their head ripped off by a bear in the first adventure, so... there's that.

And when I played Mutant: Year Zero with 3rd graders two years ago, they tended to die at a rate of 1 character every session almost.

So... combat is deadly.

(And while I've played alien, I can't say that it compares since... you know... aliens)

BUT, in both M:YZ and FL, I'd say that the chances of you getting "downed" and out of combat for the duration of the battle is very high, but the chance of outright dying in battle is dependent on whether or not your friends leave you and run away.

Most of the crits that are deadly are of the "You'll die in X turns, hours or days unless you get help" kind and not the outright "drop dead immediately" kind.

Granted, both those systems will likely be much more forgiving than T2K will be, since it's gonna be a lot more "grimy" and "crunchy" according to Thomas. I fully expect combat to be very lethal. I think he outright stated that they wanted players to view combat as something to be avoided unless very prepared... but don't quote me on that one.

JohnJohn

Mon 24 Aug 2020, 13:14

Watched the stream and ofc it is only alpha rules, but it seem a bit clunky to me.

Ammo dice felt off somehow.

Will watch the stream again later today.

StainlessSteelCynic

Tue 25 Aug 2020, 07:15

As a bit of background for the GDW editions of T2k, the designers felt that character generation was a bit time consuming and could be a real disruption if a character was killed in the middle of a game and the player had to make a new PC. They also seemed to feel that if a PC was wounded and out of action for a long time, that would negatively impact the player's enjoyment of the game.
They figured that those two situations equalled "no fun".
They wanted to stay with their ideas for character generation but to counter the problem of disrupting a game if a PC was killed or severely wounded, they made PCs significantly harder to kill off and they made recovery from wounds easier.

I understand their reasons for it but I don't agree with it so I increased the length of time for healing and I reduced every PCs hit points at character generation (note I'm talking about 2nd edition here). Some people increased the damage dice used for combat, e.g. using a d10 instead of d6 but I found it was just easier to not let PCs have so many hitpoints in the first place.

Oddball_E8

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 06:36

As a bit of background for the GDW editions of T2k, the designers felt that character generation was a bit time consuming and could be a real disruption if a character was killed in the middle of a game and the player had to make a new PC. They also seemed to feel that if a PC was wounded and out of action for a long time, that would negatively impact the player's enjoyment of the game.
They figured that those two situations equalled "no fun".
They wanted to stay with their ideas for character generation but to counter the problem of disrupting a game if a PC was killed or severely wounded, they made PCs significantly harder to kill off and they made recovery from wounds easier.

I understand their reasons for it but I don't agree with it so I increased the length of time for healing and I reduced every PCs hit points at character generation (note I'm talking about 2nd edition here). Some people increased the damage dice used for combat, e.g. using a d10 instead of d6 but I found it was just easier to not let PCs have so many hitpoints in the first place.
IIRC, my group once survived a grenade landing in our lap while driving a jeep.

Maybe the GM did something wrong, but it really turned us all off the game at the time.

GrognardGravityWell

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 06:46

Anyone know what VTT they were using in the online demo game?

Beckett

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 15:20

Anyone know what VTT they were using in the online demo game?
It's listed at their YouTube Channel as gTove Virtual Tabletop: https://illuminantgames.com/gtove