Vader
Topic Author

Map errata

Thu 28 May 2020, 18:16

Regarding the Swedish map WIP image you're showing, I would -- being intimately familiar with that specific neck of the woods -- like to offer a few suggestions for improving its accuracy.
(It being a WIP, you might already have rectified all of it, but I thought it shouldn't hurt to point it out, just in case.)

• Move Tibro to the hex immediately below its current location. The road between Skövde and Karlsborg passes immediately north of, and Tidan flows just west of, the town proper.
  • There should be a road connecting Skövde and Mariestad (in the 90's, that was easily the largest road going anywhere from Skövde).
  • A road towards Jönköping should branch off from the Skövde-Falköping road, passing south of Tidaholm.
  • I assume the town symbols relate to the size of the town. Of all the towns shown on the map, Skövde is easily the largest (both in population and extent), so it should probably have largerst symbol.
  • Continuing from the previous assumption, Lidköping ought to have the next largest symbol, being about 2/3rds of Skövde.
  • Mariestad, Skara, and Falköping all were about 1/2 of Skövde.
  • Tibro and Tidaholm were both above half of those above.
  • Karlsborg again about half of those; less than 1/10th of Skövde.
  • Not marked on the map is e.g. Vara, about the same size as Karlsborg.
  • I'd consider allocating a bit more woodland terrain in the hexes just north of Skövde.
  • Askersund has an unbroken water connection to Vättern.
  • Are air strips of any interest? There should be a few on this map (F6, F7, Skövde and Lidköping airports...)
Dunno if any of this helps you at all ... but again, just in case.
- They're a bit like Facehuggers, aren't they?
- Face ... huggers?
- Yeah, you know. Alien.
- ...?
- The horror movie, Alien.
- There's a horror movie called Alien?? That's really offensive! No wonder everyone keeps invading you.

Evildrsmith

Re: Map errata

Fri 29 May 2020, 14:39

>I assume the town symbols relate to the size of the town.
The original GDW 1st Ed map for Poland indicated cities that were in ruins (due to Nuke strike or ground combat) using a dot pattern not unlike what is used here for Skövde; possibly that's what is indicated here?

Fenhorn

Fri 29 May 2020, 14:41

The map is a WWIII map so size of cities might have changed, cities have been destroyed and so on. I think FL know the Geography of Sweden (and Poland).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Vader
Topic Author

Fri 29 May 2020, 14:46

>I assume the town symbols relate to the size of the town.
The original GDW 1st Ed map for Poland indicated cities that were in ruins (due to Nuke strike or ground combat) using a dot pattern not unlike what is used here for Skövde; possibly that's what is indicated here?
That would make sense.
I think FL know the Geography of Sweden.
One might certainly hope!
OTOH, then Tibro would have been in the correct hex, wouldn't it... ;)
I doubt a battle taking place would move the whole town 10km north...
- They're a bit like Facehuggers, aren't they?
- Face ... huggers?
- Yeah, you know. Alien.
- ...?
- The horror movie, Alien.
- There's a horror movie called Alien?? That's really offensive! No wonder everyone keeps invading you.