pansarskott

Re: The Swedish setting

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 12:22

Yes, Såtenäs of course, although the air wing would be dispersed to temporary bases (roads) in the area in times of war.

haven't thought about Skövde, but the town had a two regiments (armor and logistics) that could make it a target.

Long ago there were plans to use Karlsborg as "reserve capitol" and the gold reserve should be moved there. Maybe the Soviets thought the gold was still there? :D

Vader
Topic Author

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 16:23

[anecdote]
This reminds me, back when I was in the Army in the Eighties, we were having a lesson in company-level tactics, and the Captain giving the lesson kept referring to the Enemy advancing from the East in the examples he showed on the overhead projector.

Now, back in this day in Sweden, this was a bit controversial — the far Left wasn't too keen on acknowledging that the Soviet Union presented any threat; many of the "useful idiots" kept proclaiming that West was at least as likely to invade us as our comrades in the East, who of course would only do so to protect us from Imperialist aggression.
And the Communists being a not insignificant political force at the time, and ostensibly wanting to not "endanger our relations with foreign powers", the Soviet threat was never made explicit below a certain level in training. It was often implicit — very implicit — but as even some career officers themselves actually believed in the tripe, a certain level of semi-ambiguity was often maintained. ~ish.

And indeed, right enough, after a while one of the conscripts in the class piped up and said, "but Captain, couldn't the Enemy just as well advance from the West?"

The Captain fell silent, wrinkled his brow, and looked hard at the map he was currently projecting.

After a while he nodded and said, "well, yes, I suppose the Russians could go around..."
[/anecdote]

You had to be there.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Mr Oldtimer

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 17:04

I was. Though my cpt turned the map upside down... :)

Vader
Topic Author

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 17:05

ROTFLMAO! :lol:
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

pansarskott

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 17:34

"the enemy doesn't have to come from the east. They could air drop to the west of us"

pansarskott

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 17:39

Tried to find the training film "Förebudet" online, but no luck on the video sites, only on torrent sites.

However, the armed forces has a series of videos (in Swedish) that might be interesting.

If. You. Can. Endure. To. Listen. To. A. Speaker. Who. Tries. To. Be. Very. Dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mXC7UMmwrw

Vader
Topic Author

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 17:43

Tried to find the training film "Förebudet" online, but no luck on the video sites, only on torrent sites.
It was on YouTube for a good while some time back, but was taken down for IP reasons.

One wonders why ... no-one's making money off it, and the rights holders (being Försvarsmakten) ought to not object to it being seen by as many as possible...

Anyway ... it needs to be seen. So, if anyone knows where to find it, do feel free to pipe up!
(There was a suggestion to make it a Stretch Goal ... I'd support that!)

pansarskott

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 17:54

It seems as a private company has made copyright claims, not Försvarsmakten.
Vimeo has removed or disabled access to the video Förebudet (1987) as a result of a third-party notification by Fagervik & Skamsund AB that claims this material is infringing on their copyright.
Linking is propably not allowed on the board so let's just say that I saw it on a big Swedish torrent site.

Vader
Topic Author

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 18:06

Vimeo has removed or disabled access to the video Förebudet (1987) as a result of a third-party notification by Fagervik & Skamsund AB that claims this material is infringing on their copyright.
Linking is propably not allowed on the board so let's just say that I saw it on a big Swedish torrent site.
That's Nils-Eric Renske's own company, so apparently the rights have reverted to him.

Fenhorn

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 18:20

Moderator Message: Good, please stay away from discussing piracy. Do that somewhere else.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore