omnipus
Topic Author

NPC assistant for wounds

Mon 15 Mar 2021, 01:28

Something I whipped up to make combats go a little faster. Someday I might even incorporate armor or hit location rolls into it automatically.

Consider it basically a single-roll triage assistant for minor NPCs, with the intent of having relatively few Green/Minor results and more immediate effects that change the situation. My other intent was to provide a little more narrative and moral impact to scenes. Now at a glance I can tell not just "alive because hit point" or "dead because crit" but "effectively expectant but could be saved if you try..." or "this one is trying to surrender!"
Attachments
NPC_WoundTables.png
NPC_WoundTables.png (52.27 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

Oddball_E8

Re: NPC assistant for wounds

Tue 30 Nov 2021, 21:17

LOVE that!

baldrick0712

Wed 01 Dec 2021, 00:44

Just one question. For non-Crit hits, if you got a modified die roll of 4, would they first be Suppressed and then try to withdraw next round?

omnipus
Topic Author

Wed 01 Dec 2021, 23:25

Yes, suppression would still work as normal. It's just that they are prioritizing their own preservation, unless motivated otherwise. That wouldn't necessarily mean they aren't shooting at a threat that presents itself, of course...

Ursus Maior

Thu 02 Dec 2021, 12:07

Great idea and I like the format! I'm tinkering with the idea of integrating this into the regular CUF roll, though. This would have the benefit of not adding another roll especially since one would need a type of die the system doesn't usually uses.

E. g. if NPCs suffer crits and pass CUF (for suppression), they flee or surrender. If they fail CUF, then they're out, either dead, dying or writhing in pain. If no crit is suffered, then a failed CUF means they're suppressed and will withdraw once they recover. If CUF is passed, they will stop advancing, but seek a better position for one turn, then regroup and restart their push.
liber & infractus

omnipus
Topic Author

Thu 02 Dec 2021, 19:07

Yeah, something like that would work well, I think. I didn't want to make everything too programmatic or proscribed. (FWIW, for me this is not a player-facing tool, and I never announce the results of it beyond what the characters can actually witness - the guy who vanishes from view 100 meters away in high grass might be bleeding out, or he might be biding his time, or he might be crawling away... go find out if you want).

I do think it would be safe to rule that a crit is automatically suppressing, along with whatever else.

omnipus
Topic Author

Thu 02 Dec 2021, 20:58

Great idea and I like the format! I'm tinkering with the idea of integrating this into the regular CUF roll, though. This would have the benefit of not adding another roll especially since one would need a type of die the system doesn't usually uses.

Oh, I glossed past this. It's a fair point. My own game is over Foundry and actually I've found using 1d5 to yield slightly better results. Of course in a computer any die size is easy. But you could of course do 1d10/2, or whatever floats your boat.

A formula of something like Damage minus CUF could be interesting, as well. For those not wanting to do more math at the table it could easily be broken out into 4 variations of this same table.

Just ideas to play with. I went ahead and wrote a post on the topic over on my relatively newborn blog: https://dmspice.blot.im

Ursus Maior

Sun 05 Dec 2021, 23:53

I do think it would be safe to rule that a crit is automatically suppressing, along with whatever else.
Good point. I'd allow my players to roll for CUF, so they can stay in the game. But NPCs need to as much paperwork on their own as they can.
liber & infractus

omnipus
Topic Author

Mon 06 Dec 2021, 03:46

Yeah, I just meant NPCs. A crit on a PC can already be crippling enough without also taking away their turns. Their next turn can in many cases be their very last chance to save themselves!

leonpoi

Mon 06 Dec 2021, 17:16

I like it. Mixes it up a bit while keeping down bookkeeping.

It’s got me thinking about injuries in games in general, based also on me getting myself hurt in combat sports.

I’m thinking there area 4 classes of injury:
1. Non life threatening, that don’t incapacitate
2. Non life threatening, that immediately incapacitate or shock
3. life threatening, that don’t incapacitate
4. life threatening, that immediately incapacitate or shock

Clearly in between you can get permanent injuries etc

The table does a good job of capturing this. Perhaps two things that are missing are cases when you kill an opponent, but they just don’t know it yet - but they will suddenly collapse in a few rounds (getting stabbed with a sword for example), and when you take down an opponent, but they get back up again in a few rounds (winded, shocked etc - but maybe CUF handles this, kind of).

It might be cool to link injury to CUF in some way. V2 tw2k did that. CUF (initiative) was a score from 1 to infinity, but mostly 1-6. Light injuries gave -1, medium -3, serious -5 (not cumulative). If your CUF went down, 3 things happened 1) you acted later in the turn order 2) you went into shock if CUF reached 0 3) all panic rolls were harder (they were d6 vs initiative / CUF).

I wonder if you could roll stamina + CUF as an opposed Test vs the number of damage received (each success cancelling a damage).
Residual damage
0 flesh wound - continue as normal
1 “winded” or shocked - CUF fail rules apply
2 hurt - withdraws / staggers away
3 badly hurt - withdraws / staggers away, maybe collapses or surrenders
4 dead, or at least dying

???