baldrick0712
Topic Author

Voluntary Suppression

Sat 12 Jun 2021, 01:00

I think it would be good to allow players to voluntarily fail CUF rolls. If you are surprised by multiple enemies it might be a good idea to hit the dirt even if the first of them missed their shot.

KastorKrieg

Re: Voluntary Suppression

Sat 12 Jun 2021, 02:34

I think it would be good to allow players to voluntarily fail CUF rolls. If you are surprised by multiple enemies it might be a good idea to hit the dirt even if the first of them missed their shot.
If you're surprised by multiple enemies you're fucked. It's an ambush and you're most likely going to die.

Doing the above would mean that players essentially get an action for free after the first shot is fired. So were they surprised or not?

Not to mention, if a group of 5 guys (using the same initiative card) ambushes the character and 1st of them misses, the character defaults to failed CUF and drops into the ditch, the ambush ends because the other 4 NPCs lost line of sight?

Naw, that's silly.

panzerkraken

Sat 12 Jun 2021, 03:55

If you're surprised by multiple enemies you're fucked. It's an ambush and you're most likely going to die.

Doing the above would mean that players essentially get an action for free after the first shot is fired. So were they surprised or not?

Not to mention, if a group of 5 guys (using the same initiative card) ambushes the character and 1st of them misses, the character defaults to failed CUF and drops into the ditch, the ambush ends because the other 4 NPCs lost line of sight?

Naw, that's silly.
I think I'd allow it, but only because failing the CUF roll is more hindrance (take 1 stress, lose your entire next turn) than it's likely to be a help, in the event that you're being attacked in an ambush. You don't get to take cover, you only get to change your stance to Prone, and you don't even get to act to take cover on your next action, which means that unless it's a far ambush the guys are just going to be popping over to finish you off.

Also, in order to qualify for the CUF roll you have to be hit, (even if you don't take damage from it) which means in your example you'd just keep strolling through the Kill Zone.

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Sat 12 Jun 2021, 07:37

The way I understand Ambushes to work is that the surprising party is given the lowest Initiative cards and the surprised party is dealt cards from whatever is left in the deck. Say the enemy is in two groups (2 different hexes) and we are using the NPC fast play rules. The first group opens up on you - which we do as a single attack assisted by a couple of other enemy in the group. Miraculously you survive but you take 2 damage from rounds hitting your body armour. The GM tells you to make a CUF roll or be suppressed. At this stage I'd be hoping I fail the roll, because otherwise I'm going to be targeted by the other enemy group without even the benefit of being prone.

KastorKrieg

Sat 12 Jun 2021, 12:43

Also, in order to qualify for the CUF roll you have to be hit, (even if you don't take damage from it) which means in your example you'd just keep strolling through the Kill Zone.
Not true, if you're not hit, but there's an Ammo symbol on one of the Ammo Dice, you test CUF.

CherryC0p

Sun 13 Jun 2021, 00:21

Not true, if you're not hit, but there's an Ammo symbol on one of the Ammo Dice, you test CUF.
Not fully true. Single shots (snipers, Zip Guns, warning shots?) won't have Ammo Dice, thus can't Suppress on a miss. Im gonna be making a post on this in a bit.
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

Viperion_NZ

Sun 13 Jun 2021, 06:23

What KastorKrieg said is fully true: "f you're not hit, but there's an Ammo symbol on one of the Ammo Dice"

Yes, if you're firing a single shot you don't get an ammo die, but that doesn't make Kastor's statement untrue.