AmazingZoidberg

Re: Beta Feedback - Player's Manual Chapter 2 Characters

Fri 07 May 2021, 11:19

Page 32 / 33
The table "Military careers"
- on the first part of the table it states "Special Operations", but on the next page where the table continues it states "Special Operations Forces"

Page 32
The table "Military careers"
Why is "Ranger" listed both under "Combat Arms" and under "Special Operations" ? Should'nt it just be unde the "Special Operations Forces" branch ?

paladin2019

Fri 07 May 2021, 15:33

Ranger is the super tough specialty. It works as an option for both.

AmazingZoidberg

Fri 07 May 2021, 22:39

Thanks for your reply. I know what Ranger and Ranger school is.
I just don't think it should be under both. IMO it should only be under special operations. As you write yourself, it's super tough

CherryC0p

Sat 08 May 2021, 02:03

Simple, replace Ranger in Combat Arms with Redleg.

Right now its only available as an Archetype. There's a few specialties that are unavailable for Lifepath that are only in Archetypes, or not at all.
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

paladin2019

Sat 08 May 2021, 23:14

Thanks for your reply. I know what Ranger and Ranger school is.
Then you are aware the the only thing assignment to the Ranger Regiment has to do with Ranger School is that the regiment runs the school. Being assigned to the regiment isn't a requirement to attend the Ranger course nor is graduation from such a requirement for assignment to the regiment.

The actual benefit is a bonus to Stamina rolls to keep going when marching, exposed to extreme conditions, etc. That's not a requirement of serving in special operations units. Swedes and their neighbors might just call that Tuesday. Or the 10th Mountain or NTC OPFOR or Marine Mountain Warfare graduates (or 2nd MARDIV veterans) or....

As for replacing Ranger with Redleg, what about Vehicle Gunner or Forward Observer? A better option is really a "choose one" entry on the random table, perhaps with it limited to the a specialty from the listed skills.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I really like that. Change 6 on every career specialty table to "choose one" limited to specialties of one of the career's listed skills. This will require some reordering of the listed specialties to keep non-career skill ones possible (replace Melee with Scout on the Police Officer career, for example), but it will allow more varied characters.