User avatar
Viperion_NZ
Topic Author
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2021, 03:52

GRENADE!!! And how do they work

Fri 16 Apr 2021, 05:30

Folks,

Hand Grenades. How do they work?

It seems that you use Heavy Weapons to throw a hand grenade (Alpha Rulebook, Page 67)

Therefore if you miss with your Heavy Weapons skill, they deviate as per page 68 ("If an attack with an explosive effect fails – no matter if it was aimed at a hex or a specific target – roll two D6s to see where the round lands.")

The "distance" Deviation die is capped to half (rounded up) of the distance the explosive travelled.

Grenades have a maximum distance of 3 (they are Range 3 and Short Range only)

That means if you are attacking with a Hand Grenade at someone 3 hexes away, and miss with your Heavy Weapon attack, it will deviate one hex if you roll a 1 on the distance die, and 2 hexes on any other result.

Is that correct/intended?

(Of note; if the target was two hexes away it will deviate one hex, guaranteed. Don't throw a grenade into an adjacent hex, because you'll be in the blast radius.)

Should thrown grenades use the usual deviation rules? I suggest not.
 
paladin2019
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon 07 Dec 2020, 09:16

Re: GRENADE!!! And how do they work

Fri 16 Apr 2021, 06:06

Yes, they should. Dropping the grenade essentially at your feet is...it happens.
 
User avatar
Viperion_NZ
Topic Author
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2021, 03:52

Re: GRENADE!!! And how do they work

Fri 16 Apr 2021, 06:42

If you miss (and are throwing at a target 3 hexes away), there's an 83% chance you miss by 2 hexes, and a 17% chance you miss by 1 hex. That seems off to me.
 
paladin2019
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon 07 Dec 2020, 09:16

Re: GRENADE!!! And how do they work

Fri 16 Apr 2021, 07:07

Ah. You're concerned about the implementation not the concept. Yeah, I agree. They probably need a special distance rule.
 
marroon69
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon 30 Nov 2020, 15:38

Re: GRENADE!!! And how do they work

Sat 17 Apr 2021, 14:51

If I am reading this right, you have to take into account the first d6 that deals with direction, you will not always by dropping them at your feet.

"If an attack with an explosive effect fails – no matter if it was aimed at a hex or a specific target – roll two D6s to see where the round lands. The first D6 determines
the direction of deviation (see the table on page xx). The second D6 determines how far from the target hex that the round lands, in hexes. The deviation cannot exceed
half of the distance to the target (rounding up)."

There is only a one in six chance it comes straight back at you. I am thinking this image is right, it shows the other 5 position a grenade could go with a deviation of 2 hexes..at least as how I understand it.

ImageGrenade spread by marroon69, on Flickr
 
paladin2019
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon 07 Dec 2020, 09:16

Re: GRENADE!!! And how do they work

Sat 17 Apr 2021, 18:47

Yes, all of that is good, the problem is distance. The numbers work out that only 1 in 6 deviations will deviate a single hex, the other 5 will result in a 2 hex deviation.

(Also, each hex is 10 m, not five and a half feet.)
 
DeusXLondon
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue 23 Mar 2021, 11:34

Re: GRENADE!!! And how do they work

Sat 17 Apr 2021, 23:59

Very clean implementation. The original T2000 took a lot more work if I recall.

Regards
DX
 
andresk
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon 05 Oct 2020, 16:38

Re: GRENADE!!! And how do they work

Sun 18 Apr 2021, 09:47

Yes, all of that is good, the problem is distance. The numbers work out that only 1 in 6 deviations will deviate a single hex, the other 5 will result in a 2 hex deviation.

(Also, each hex is 10 m, not five and a half feet.)
If this remains the case I would just set a house rule that grenade deviations work as a d2, so 1-3 would deviate 1 hex and 4-6 2 hexes. And considering it's only if you fail the attack roll, it shouldn't happen too often.
 
marroon69
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon 30 Nov 2020, 15:38

Re: GRENADE!!! And how do they work

Sun 18 Apr 2021, 12:58

Yes, all of that is good, the problem is distance. The numbers work out that only 1 in 6 deviations will deviate a single hex, the other 5 will result in a 2 hex deviation.

(Also, each hex is 10 m, not five and a half feet.)
So you do like the distance deviation? or the distribution of the distances I guess. I thought your issue was being hit by your own grenade....I know hexes are 10 meters this was just a quick visual displaying the hexes effected for 5 of the 6 deviations since I thought your issue was "blowing your self up" to much.

I personally think the roles are quick and easy. It keeps the game moving and gives you a chance to miss with a grenade. But hey no issue a simple house rule as mentioned above fixes it.
 
User avatar
CherryC0p
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue 29 Dec 2020, 00:08

Re: GRENADE!!! And how do they work

Tue 20 Apr 2021, 18:03

Blowing yourself up is a real risk lol. Ask anyone that plays airsoft. Grenades bounce off shit all the time.

Throw it too high outside? Bounce back off a tree branch.
Bad bounce around a door inside? Lands right at your feet or on the other side of the wall.
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests