Vader
Topic Author

Re: YZE adaptation for Twilight: 2000 gameplay

Tue 30 Jun 2020, 01:12

So that becomes an abstract rebuild project in 4 steps: Investigate -plan - gather resources -implement.
Which, for a TTRPG representation of such a process, doesn't strike me as very abstract at all; rather the contrary. I'd love for the game to incorporate that kind of detail.

And yeah, I think you got the gist of my meaning. ;)
- They're a bit like Facehuggers, aren't they?
- Face ... huggers?
- Yeah, you know. Alien.
- ...?
- The horror movie, Alien.
- There's a horror movie called Alien?? That's really offensive! No wonder everyone keeps invading you.

omnipus

Tue 30 Jun 2020, 06:39

Well, I know that Forbidden Lands already has a set of rules for base-building, so I assume there's a nice head-start there. I haven't read them but between that and the hex-crawl I've always figured Twilight was in pretty good hands. But for extended task resolution, like the bridge example, again I refer to Mouse Guard as kind of my personal gold standard for rules that handle that sort of thing well, and make it nearly as dramatic and interesting as combat. You could spend 3 or 4 whole adventures on getting this bridge built, and then at the end of it there's a good amount of tension as you find out if it was all for nothing. Then the players are invested in something; if someone comes and tries to blow up that bridge, you can bet it's gonna be more of a grudge match. It's a great idea for a slice of a campaign. I hope the rules provide a number of resources like that; other ideas for what players can be doing other than surviving, traveling, and fighting what is otherwise a pretty pointless war.

Vader
Topic Author

Tue 30 Jun 2020, 10:21

I'm not directly familiar with Mouse Guard, but I do have the first edition of Luke Crane's Burning Wheel.
Do you know anything about similarities/differences?
- They're a bit like Facehuggers, aren't they?
- Face ... huggers?
- Yeah, you know. Alien.
- ...?
- The horror movie, Alien.
- There's a horror movie called Alien?? That's really offensive! No wonder everyone keeps invading you.

omnipus

Wed 01 Jul 2020, 05:19

Once upon a time I did, but I can't say I remember now. I've never actually played or read Burning Wheel. In essence, though, I think Mouse Guard is meant to be simpler and more straightforward.

sellanraa

Wed 01 Jul 2020, 17:29

Torchbearer 2nd edition (sort of the middle ground offering between MouseGuard and Burning Wheel from BWHQ) is developing some base camp improvement rules that could be interesting. I think eventually depending on success and what work goes into it, it can even eventually become a town. It's not released yet, I'm just helping playtest. While it's a fantasy setting, the way the game abstracts things make it still potentially useful.

That game and its abstract approach could port over to Twilight:2000 because the core concept for both is the grind of trying to survive in an unforgiving world.

Anyway, since MG/BW came up, I thought I'd throw that out.