Have anyone else thought about this?
What we know (from Dance of Dreams):
- Wredenhielm, Kokola and Thulenstierna has obviously discovered something alarming about the Vaesen in Scandinavia
- They need Oscar Hjort's help, but their suggestion is obviously so controversial that Oscar promptly refuses (and is killed for it when he threatens to expose them)
- Apparently, he can still serve them in death, so they bury him in Pyri Harjula's root cellar, desecrating his grave with magic
- When Oscar returns from the grave (after 50 years), the magic that was prepared during his burial is activated
- This somehow increases the power of the vaesen and magic, and causes man-made constructions nearby to fall apart
What did the trio discover?
What was their suggestion to Oscar? Why could his death somehow do the same trick as the service he refused to do? Why did he have to do it? Why couldn't they do it themselves?
Presupposing that the characters have completed Dance of Dreams and laid Oscar to rest, will man-made constructions all over Scandinavia continue to fall apart? (Probably not)
What will the characters have to do in order to stop this?
Why did the three conspirators go in separate directions after this? (Norway, East, departing from a ship from southern Sweden)
My initial thoughts
Albert, Katja and Hilma (the conspirators) learned the truth about vaesen, that they exist as long as humankind believe in them.
With technological progress, urbanization and secularization, fewer people believe in vaesen. Vaesen disappear.
The vaesen feel threatened by this and go to great lengths showing themselves to humans, keeping their beliefs intact.
A group of mighty vaesen (including the giant chieftain Bestla from the Oulu Massacre and the Queen of Spring from Summer in December) manages to open a magic well to their own magical world. This well slowly siphons magic into the real world, causing man-made constructions to decay.
Their goal is to force the technological progress of mankind to halt, forcing them back into small, rural villages. This will keep the old myths and folktales alive.
The conspirators learn of this plan, and somehow discovers a way to counteract it. An innocent's blood must be spilled near the well (one of the well is in Pyri's root cellar). They tell Oscar that he must find an innocent and kill him/her. They know Oscar will never do this. Their plan is all along to kill him. When he refuses, he truly becomes an innocent.
The conspirators go to the other wells.
- Albert goes to northern Norway
- Countess Hilma goes to Russia, to the Kola peninsula
- Baroness Kokola is somewhere in Denmark
Their magic outside of Uppsala lasted only 50 years. The other wellsprings are also releasing their magic now. The vaesens' magic is slowly being released into the world.
That's my thoughts so far. It isn't much to go on from the source material. I have yet to consider how to stop this, or the Rosenberger's role in this. Somehow I feel that this plan is more of a Rosenberger plan though ..