Forte24
Topic Author

How does Equipment actually work?

Mon 26 Oct 2020, 06:02

So I've reread the section in the book at least four times now and I'm still extremely confused. When it says that equipment provided a bonus to your skill checks does that just mean all skill checks? How would a camera help with an agility or force check? Or am I just looking to much into this? As well as do the effects only take place at a certain time or are they just constant? How does a pet dog/guard dog get used for close combat as well? Do I roll another dice?? I'm just very confused on how this equipment actually works.

Daïna

Re: How does Equipment actually work?

Mon 26 Oct 2020, 07:22

Did you read the column where the equipment is described? Because every item is explained quite clearly. Exemple: binoculars give +2 to vigilance checks and allows to make them from a distance. So, binoculars don’t give a bonus to Force or Agility. It gives a bonus to Vigilance.

Vader

Mon 26 Oct 2020, 10:41

And of course, only in relevant circumstances. A pair of binoculars won't give you a Vigilance bonus unless you're actually using them; nor if you try to use them inappropriately, e.g. for looking around a small room. As GM, you need to apply your best judgement to where equipment bonuses should and shouldn't apply.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Forte24
Topic Author

Mon 26 Oct 2020, 13:15

Did you read the column where the equipment is described? Because every item is explained quite clearly. Exemple: binoculars give +2 to vigilance checks and allows to make them from a distance. So, binoculars don’t give a bonus to Force or Agility. It gives a bonus to Vigilance.
Ooooooh, okay so it's a best judgement kinda thing and not like any hard rule per say? Sorry I'm just kinda new to dming and dont quite understand what each equipment is for. Like when it says "use alcohol for inspiration or manipulation" that's what I'd actually apply the bonus to?

Daïna

Mon 26 Oct 2020, 13:27

Like when it says "use alcohol for inspiration or manipulation" that's what I'd actually apply the bonus to?
Yes, absolutely. :)

Forte24
Topic Author

Mon 26 Oct 2020, 13:32

Like when it says "use alcohol for inspiration or manipulation" that's what I'd actually apply the bonus to?
Yes, absolutely. :)
Okay thank you, I think I finally understand now

Vader

Mon 26 Oct 2020, 13:33

Ooooooh, okay so it's a best judgement kinda thing and not like any hard rule per say?

That's how it rolls.

The Rules are more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules. At least, to the GM.

It's your world.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion