Adlerson
Topic Author

Adjusting Game Difficulty

Mon 05 Oct 2020, 21:32

I'm getting ready to run The Dance of Dreams for my partners. First time I've run a game with this system. Both my partners are the kind of players who is in it more for the story than for the 'edge of your seat flirting with death if you make a tactical mistake' kind of game. That said, I don't want to completely remove the chance of death or serious consequences either. So, if I want to nudge the game A LITTLE bit towards 'safer', what would be the best way to do that?
Given that there's only the two of them I figured I would give them a bonus to fear checks. Any other ideas or techniques people use?

Thanks!

srdaine

Re: Adjusting Game Difficulty

Tue 06 Oct 2020, 01:12

I've only run the game once (with a scenario of my own) and I'd say it's difficult for players to see their characters die, unless they behave in a very reckless way. Fear tests are not too risky, specially if the PCs are grouped.

aramis

Tue 06 Oct 2020, 10:50

You'll want to stress going in that basic application of brute force is unlikely to work. A scene with Linnea telling them this basic truth is a good way to frame the information and the genre for the players. Especially if she hands them the keys to the HQ...
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Byrax

Tue 06 Oct 2020, 11:40

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Fear tests (usually at 1 or 2) are not hard to overcome and it is quite easy to heal physical/mental wound as well. A standard success heals 3, ie all unless you are broken.

aramis

Thu 08 Oct 2020, 02:40

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Fear tests (usually at 1 or 2) are not hard to overcome and it is quite easy to heal physical/mental wound as well. A standard success heals 3, ie all unless you are broken.
Assuming one has time for a healing scene, true.

Not all the published adventures have the time for that once things start rolling.
Still, while it's easy enough to take a character out of action, it's hard to take them out of the story, since only 2 of the 36 physical and 2 of the mental crits are dead/looney-bin-bound in 1d6 rounds...

aramis

Sun 11 Oct 2020, 06:05

You'll want to stress going in that basic application of brute force is unlikely to work. A scene with Linnea telling them this basic truth is a good way to frame the information and the genre for the players. Especially if she hands them the keys to the HQ...
One of my players proved she didn't learn that well enough last night...despite everyone rushing to her aid, her character tried to go toe to toe with an angered faerie.
A #55 crit was the demise of Stig Carinsson. Especially with a 1 minute to dead roll. Everyone else (and I do mean everyone) failed to get successes on medicine checks to save him, so Stig passed on...

Daïna

Sun 11 Oct 2020, 11:06

Didn’t anyone had a Pride left to use ? :o
My players know that in dire situations, they can always use their pride (if applicable, but they have a large range of possible situations).

aramis

Mon 12 Oct 2020, 22:06

The player was happy with the result; she'd made him into a very toxic stereotype. "I'm only out the 15 XP," said she.

aramis

Tue 13 Oct 2020, 02:14

Didn’t anyone had a Pride left to use ? :o
My players know that in dire situations, they can always use their pride (if applicable, but they have a large range of possible situations).
Pride? I suspect a language error here.
They had some Advantages, but none of them relevant.
They used their medical kits. Nothing succeeded.
It did, however, tie into the mystery at hand.

It reinforces: If you want to reduce the lethality, just strongly encourage players to investigate rather than blindly attempt to eradicate.

Daïna

Tue 13 Oct 2020, 05:58

No language error. Prides are part of the Year Zero Generic system, and were mentioned in the beta version of the game. Maybe they were removed from Vaesen when the Mementos were added? Anyway, I use them. It’s something the characters are particularly proud about, and they can use once in a session to gain an automatic success. For example, the PI is proud that “his mind knows no failure”. The vagabond is proud that “Nobody can tell him what to do”.