Bonzzo15
Topic Author

Traveling cost

Wed 30 Sep 2020, 14:05

Example, Havets Silver (dont know the english translation but Silver of the Sea maybe?) tells us that they travel by stagecoach, then boat, then stagecoach, do we pay for those, that would end up in like 7 units of money, most groups cant afford that.

Then again, if its "free", why would we wanna force them to build a stable and buy their own stagecoach?

Fenhorn

Re: Traveling cost

Wed 30 Sep 2020, 14:39

Technically it is:
1) Stagecoach (2)
2) Boat (3)
3) Stagecoach (2)
At 1) The players can make a resources roll to pay for the stagecoach. If we assume four players with a 2,3,4,5 resources this means 14 dice in total to get two successes.
At 2) The same group needs to buy boat tickets, they again can make resource roll to pay for it, again with 14 dice, although this time they need three successes.
At 3) The group now needs to pay for a stagecoach again. 14 dice to get two successes.
If they don't get enough successes they can fill in with their capital (a group with 2,3,4,5 resources have a total of six capital).

Seems doable.
------------------------
You can also assume that the initial travel is payed for and the players only have to pay for any travels they do once they have arrived.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Daïna

Wed 30 Sep 2020, 15:35

Well, I assume the initial travel is always paid for. But... the stagecoach they use “for free” never stays with them. So, they really consider upgrading the HQ for their own vehicles, because they’re tired of being stuck in dangerous places. :lol:

aramis

Thu 01 Oct 2020, 08:28

Well, I assume the initial travel is always paid for. But... the stagecoach they use “for free” never stays with them. So, they really consider upgrading the HQ for their own vehicles, because they’re tired of being stuck in dangerous places. :lol:
That was my assumption, as well.
But my read on the resources roll is a bit different than Fenhorn's...
  • Prep Phase: one big roll, everyone rolls. Can be used to get items, total Avl = ⚅'s rolled.
  • Travel: initial travel presumed to be paid for, as none of the adventures I've read (3 of the 5 so far) call for players to pay for the travel. Later, player driven, travel is Manipulation.
  • Anything after departure calls for manipulation rolls, not resources rolls.
As a house rule, I've allowed players to opt out of the group roll for a guarantee of one item of availability less than (but not equal to) Resources, but reducing resources for the rest of the adventure by the Availability. (This is actually borrowed from some other game with a resources roll system. I forget which. It isn't a Burning Wheel one, and it's not TSR's Marvel, but those use resources...)

Then again, my group's entire resources with 5p is 12 or 13 dice...
And I've seen them roll and push and get nothing...
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...