ChristopherRobin

Re: A Wicked Secret

Wed 30 Sep 2020, 19:04

Yes, I agree. The illustrations for the archetypes are also great. The illustrator did some illustrations for DiLorenzos (rpg-podcaster from the Starfinder-podcast Glasscannon) actual play podcast (Lost Mountain Saga) that will be starting soon.

aramis

Sat 03 Oct 2020, 09:49

So, since I stooped right as they saw its soul head for its mummy on the fire...

I had it cause a big burning boom... Pastor Ingvar and Bodi chanting from the exorcism ritual, having passed the check to stay in a burning building...everyone else comes to guard them from the advancing cultists... Märta and 6 cultists... They plan to capture and sacrifice the PCs...Ida levels her shotgun and, thanks to pushing, gets 5 extra successes with her shotgun. Märta and 4 others drop right at the front of the church... And the cat rises again from its body... They kept taking it down for another die of minutes, as Bodi and the pastor continue to chant...

Best bit... Ida had both dogs (Abraham was player less, and guarded the room with 6 conditions), and so the grimm enchanted her... With a fear 2 effect... Which broke Stig and Carin... She had a chat with Odin in a burning Lutheran church... Bodi snapped Carin out, and Carin aided Stig...

Stig wound up broken 6 times. 2physical and 4 mental. Ida was broken twice, and has a hole from a tracheotomy needed Due to a roll of 63 from smoke. I subbed in 2nd degree throat burns for the torn abdomen. Stig made the roll with +3 from an insight ...

They assemble the rest of the Fārna Thing, but 13 more, and the hired coachman , are missing. Bodi convinces them that there is an evil cult... they found the documents Märta was going to plant to frame Ingvar... On her corpse. They get down to the ritual just in time to save the coachman.
Ida takes out 10 of 13 in an Ash-like manner... Bodi breaks two with fists, and manages to capture a third... Doc Carin cuts the coachman loose, and they return to the Färna Thing... Convincing the remainder of the cult's evil, Loki's horse-worshiping, cult and its sacrifices... He's to be dropped off with the civil authorities in town. They also convince them to sign for the mine...half the village is dead, they all have a stash of 1 capital each, and are outlawed from Färna.

Bodi had searched the house of Märta, finding passports and wallets of enough to cover a decade of sacrifices... And a book in Märta's library... In Old Norse... The Norse creation and Dismissal of a goði's grimm. Stashed away, and taken with. Ida kept one oftheir ritual daggers...

They get home, meet Algot for the first time, and open their occult library and infirmary... And Algot mentions a young girl running around the castle.

Stig has a permanent disability and a permanent inspiration. Carin lost her insight. Ida kept hers. And, like in C. Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, the servant is the unbroken badass... Despite cultists gaming up, Bodi never broke.

We also had dozens of bad puns, 4 breaking out in singing bits, and a both tense and yet humorous session. They also managed to hit all 8 dev points, and all but new Vaesen XP ... And now have another town off limits...
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

aramis

Sat 03 Oct 2020, 10:14

Want to thank Daïna and Oathbloom ... You versions helped me figure how to extricate the story dead end by sending me back to the book. Its not often that I get to see the same adventure run by two others in a similar timeframe and compare outcomes, and itbjogged ”hey, is that in there?” which lead to checking, and seeing things I missed on reads one and two...

They kept fighting it for that d6 minutes of peace between ressurections knowing that it is a telepathic attacker... They knew it would keep coming... Bodi had, at one point grabbed some wine to be able to cushion a mental attack... And it kept Bodi from breaking...

Mechanics which drive PCs to drink.... And not ham fisted about it, either.

Note that I treated the burning as a slow poison... And described the smells of pine sap and varnish as incense–like.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Daïna
Topic Author

Sat 03 Oct 2020, 11:04

Well, you're welcome, and thank you for sharing too! It's wonderful when you can see how different groups handle a same scenario. :)

rennarda

Mon 01 Feb 2021, 11:29

We just played session 2 of this mystery yesterday. I only have a single PC - a very wealthy young Occultist - so we tend to rip through adventures quickly as there's fewer rolls and no arguments or discussions between players.

I was very amused by how completely the player swallowed the false lead about the priest being responsible for the Grim, until she found the body in the woods and deduced that he'd probably been set up by someone. When she found her things had been gone through, and her pistol taken, she immediately suspected the Skytts, and ended up breaking and entering and sneaking around the house whilst they were at home! (Occultists are also ninjas, who knew)

Eventually she confronted them, but realised she'd made a mistake in suspecting them, and together they broke into the sawmill and found the missing gun, as well as the pentagram and carvings. She headed up to meet the priest to warn him, only to find his dismembered body, and that's where we left it.

I think I'll skip the bit where Dorotea gets killed by the grim - she's a useful aide. Instead I'll have it abduct Willemena, and knock out Dorotea in the process. Then she can can accompany the PC under cover to the ritual. She has already worked out what she needs to do to destroy the Grim - she just needs to find it's corpse.

Oathbloom

Tue 16 Feb 2021, 16:35

Thanks for sharing Rennarda, I'd love to hear what happened next!