Oathbloom
Topic Author

Financial Rewards

Tue 18 Aug 2020, 13:23

I am DMing the A Grim Secret mystery and it specifically mentions monetary rewards if the PCs manage to convince the village to sell their land and business. Do you think I should shift their permanent financial status or just give them like +2 capital for the next mystery?

The impact of advancing in overall status is big but also necessary to unlock some of the features of the castle so I am a bit torn here.
Any insight or thoughts are appreciated.

Anders Gabrielsson

Re: Financial Rewards

Tue 18 Aug 2020, 20:46

My instinct would be to limit this to capital.

Increasing someone's resources is worth five experience points, which is quite a lot, roughly one session's worth.

It can also change the feel of a character quite a lot, so while it's unquestionably useful not every player may want that.

Daïna

Wed 19 Aug 2020, 12:00

I was planning this: if they succeed, they will be allowed to use experience points to take another level of Wealthy.
Usually they cannot do that at my table unless they have an “in game” reason to increase their global wealth.

Oathbloom
Topic Author

Wed 19 Aug 2020, 14:44

Thank you for the input!

Is there a mechanic in Rules As Written for how players a supposed to increase wealth? Can they normally use 5 exp to increase Wealth?

Fenhorn

Wed 19 Aug 2020, 14:52

Thank you for the input!

Is there a mechanic in Rules As Written for how players a supposed to increase wealth? Can they normally use 5 exp to increase Wealth?
Yes, in game, any player can take any talent (including talents from other professions than their own). So the Wealthy talent can be taken by anyone (increasing the characters Resources by one) and it can be taken more than once. Then it is up to the player (and GM perhaps) to describe how his character has learned this talent or in the case of the Wealthy talent, how he became a little bit wealthier. Also worth noting regarding Resources is that the Resource span for each profession is just a limit when you create a character, as soon as the character is in the game, all characters can go all the way up to Resource 8 if they want to.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Oathbloom
Topic Author

Wed 19 Aug 2020, 15:08

Thanks! I found the talent now.

Alright, that'll give me some food for thought - I like both allowing them to spend exp and giving them +2 capital on next Mystery.

Anders Gabrielsson

Fri 21 Aug 2020, 16:51

You could give them the opportunity to by Wealthy for fewer xp.