TheStoryteller
Topic Author

Question about the mystery "The song of the fallen star"

Mon 17 Aug 2020, 21:53

Greetings fellow DM

This weekend I’m hosting my third mystery and I have set my eyes on “the song of the fallen star” I hope that is the name of it, I’m using the Swedish version “Sången om den fallande stjärnan”.
Before this we have completed the Dance of the Dreams and the night sow. Both sounded quite deadly when I prepared them, but my players breezed through them with quite an ease and they have yet to be broken.

I like to award my players if they outplay my NPC or come up with logical and reasonable solutions. In the night sow I even added a red herring, but they managed to outmaneuver the old lighthouse keeper.
(On a side note, anyone else that would have liked to see more information about Anna Svensson in the mystery, she felt like a key NPC, but I had to create everything about her.)

Now I was hoping to give them a real challenge with “the song of the fallen star”. Just to discover there is no real danger in that mystery. They may face a brawl with the priest or the troll, but both is quite easy to avoid with a seasoned crew. I would like to see (and will create my own) some more scenarios that provides danger for the PC’s before the final showdown.
Anyone played this or read it thoroughly? Did you find any danger for the players that I’ve missed? If not, what kind of danger did you or would you add? I am thinking of adding another Vaesen into the mix, which one would you add to this story?

Best regards

The Storyteller

PS. Besides the lack of danger of being broken down for the players I think this is the most well written mystery. Most of the NPC have interesting stories to share with the players.

Daïna

Re: Question about the mystery "The song of the fallen star"

Wed 19 Aug 2020, 11:56

I agree with you, this mystery isn’t really dangerous or even scary to the players. It’s more like an immersion into fairyland of sorts, I think.
You will find far much more danger in “A Wicked Secret”, and players could be at risk too in the “Night Sow”. One of my players was very close to see his character die against the gloson.

TheStoryteller
Topic Author

Thu 20 Aug 2020, 16:24

I agree with you, this mystery isn’t really dangerous or even scary to the players. It’s more like an immersion into fairyland of sorts, I think.
You will find far much more danger in “A Wicked Secret”, and players could be at risk too in the “Night Sow”. One of my players was very close to see his character die against the gloson.
My crew acctually stumbled on the lighthousekeeper. I was hoping for them to go to the cave but they wanted to talk to Magnus before. The script said to be hostile and evictive of the PC's if approached so I was. This unfortunatly triggered their spidersences and they stormed the lighthouse. By this time all the witches was killed and they was under investigation by the police officer (they first ignored to mention Olgas body in the snow, and they where the only one to enter the village at night and after that they where spoted following Lisa Svenson, who later was found dead aswell). Anyway, the crew was a bit cornered and acted on it, however they had uncovered the secret about the gloson and of cource they where on the lookout for anything made out of Lime-tree (Lind). Three persons had no problem overpowering the old lightkeeper and as soon as the lime staff was in their hand the gloson was no problem. Overall they where only inflicted by 2-3 states in that mystory.

Anyway the song of the fallen stars really grows on me, for the sake of danger I will involve a dark past into the upcoming event.

I have a follow up question on that mystery:
During the first disaster situation the priests wants to take the child to the church... Would that not kill the child? It seems that it's kind don't mix that well with church? (beeing a bit wage on purpose, not to spoil to much, even if this is only for GMs)

Daïna

Thu 20 Aug 2020, 18:03

Actually it says nothing about the fact that a church would kill a troll kid. Troll food rots and Troll feel pain when they face symbols of Christianity. So, it could bring a great pain to the child, who will howl and scream and wiggle in pain as they approach the Church. That would be my interpretation.