Deep_Impact
Topic Author

The Dance of Dreams

Sat 28 Dec 2019, 19:12

Read up on the starter's adventure this morning. It's not a miracle of modern roleplaying game design, but a solid ghost story without any Alienesque Body-Horror or Jump Scares and no big metaplot or cosmic horror.

Should be a good introduction to the subject matter and exactly what I imagined from the setting. And I like that Olaus has potential for later mysteries.

The only thing I unasure of is that the 'Dance of Dreams' is spread all over Upsala. That makes sense to lure members of the Society, but sounds wierd, knowing that it's more than three hours away by horse.

Ebrim

Re: The Dance of Dreams

Tue 31 Dec 2019, 15:41

I may need to reread it but wasn’t that just posters advertising the show?

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Tue 31 Dec 2019, 16:20

He tells the characters that the flier he sent them about
The Dance of Dreams has been spread across Upsala.
Sound like many. :)

Ebrim

Tue 31 Dec 2019, 23:38

He tells the characters that the flier he sent them about
The Dance of Dreams has been spread across Upsala.
Sound like many. :)
Yeah, so fliers about the show can be found all around Uppsala. I mean, I don’t imagine that means everywhere but probably in middle class type places.

Daïna

Tue 28 Apr 2020, 10:06

Hi everyone. 
I just play-tested the Dance of Dreams yesterday with a group via Roll20 (social distancing).
I edited the scenario as follows: removed the Uppsala part, and the PI Olaus Klimt. Made the PCs travel by night on the Sigtuna-Uppsala road instead, then their coach had a bad accident due to the terrible storm, driver died, one horse too, the other fled in the night. They knew the road and had knowledge of the existence of an inn, so they went for it, and then, except for Olaus who wasn't there, I followed the "script". 
It went really well! We play 4 hours strait, and they solved the mystery pretty well. They couldn't avoid Sami's suicide, but they managed to convince Oscar pretty quick that they only meant well. They almost immediately thought of this option. They didn't search Nora's room until later, but they had gathered from Sophia's play that Oscar was in the cellar, and that he wasn't properly buried, so, since one of them was a priest, they took care of it. 
In the end, they told me they had loved it (they want to play again...  :o ) and they especially liked talkative Jonathan, Sami's friend. They totally fell for Lisa's false lead, but they had noticed the attic and it saved them from completely missing Sophia's play before 3rd step of the countdown.
Maps were really useful too. 

Did anyone else try to run this scenario yet?

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Tue 28 Apr 2020, 12:52

How many players did you have? And is the character creation included in the four hours?

Daïna

Tue 28 Apr 2020, 14:37

I had 4 players, one was a PI himself, the other 3 where the grand-children of the 3 Society Members in the story. 
I created the characters with them beforehand, but in the 4 hours, a quick explanation of the rule system was included. 

Byrax

Tue 28 Apr 2020, 14:48

Cool! Did the players dig into the Swedish setting? 

Daïna

Tue 28 Apr 2020, 15:10

Mostly, yes. They pictured the Mythic North anyway. We agreed on making religion closer to what we knew, to make the game smoother. 

Raldanash

Sun 03 May 2020, 10:34

Just ran Dance of Dreams (the mystery in the Alpha core book) at an online convention. Overall it went quite well, the atmosphere was good and appropriately spooky, but there were some holes, too.

I think someone else had commented on the invitation letter with the flyer - In Nora's diary (I think), she says she was trying to contact a local theatre troupe so that they could call in during their spring tour. Is the flyer meant to be produced for that? It does not contain a date or venue or name, so as a clue, it utterly relies on Olaus telling the group where it is. But who puts out a flyer like that? Also, with Nora disappearing and the mystery set in autumn, there is a big lag. I plugged the gap saying that Sophia was desperate to show the play to someone and hence snuck out a few flyers, but it still needs a date and place, risking her discovery by Sami. Oh, and does that say Sari's room on the map? Is that Sami's?

Speaking of the flyer, I know it is meant to be vague and not give the story away, but the mention of the flute that sends the souls to hell is such a nice hook that goes unused...
The second bumpy bit was the connection to the background story. Provided the group has only recently joined the society, they will not be deeply familiar with its history. Hence the names Albert, Hilma and (forgot the third) won't establish the connection and the case of mistaken identity. I think that is a great part of the story line, but unless there is a follow up with the names, that bit won't make much sense to the group.

Anyway - I translated the key handouts to German for this Con, so if anyone wants to use them, feel free (acknowledging FLs copyright of the original texts, of course )
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1seZgX ... 1gz5JYBiXN