AWBaader

Re: Alpha Feedback - Mythic Britain & Ireland

Thu 23 Dec 2021, 15:19

Page 102
Dr. Evans was not at the service because she had heard that an unusual number of people in the village were sick that Sunday, and she was waiting to hear where he was needed.
Should be she
begin the work of digging out their neighbors while help was on the way from outside.
Should be "neighbours"

Caithdein

Thu 23 Dec 2021, 17:18

Piskie entry on Pg65

Conditions state 'Furious+1 - uses both initiative cards' but it doesn't say anywhere that Piskies draw more than one card

Vanitoburrito

Thu 23 Dec 2021, 18:28

First of all a big thank you for bringing this book to life! :D
I just gathered some things that caught my eye - sorry if anybody already mentioned them! I haven't read the entire PDF but all I've seen so far is amazing!

On page 53, the Secret Box of the Black Dog says:
or a group of2-3 at most.
but I think it should be:
or a group of 2-3 at most.

It is just a missing space.

Not sure if it is just me who but I don't understand this sentence:
Certain herbs, placed above windows and doorways, and prevent a hag from entering a building or room: the common anti-witch charm of a sprig or rowan wrapped with red thread is also effective against hags.
(Hag, page 57) Especially the first part. I am not sure if we are missing a view words here of if we see two sentences mashed together. Sorry if it is just me not getting it.

Honestly I really like how the the size for the knocker is described - page 58.
It would be amazing to see it for the other Vaesen as well (Leprechaun, Nuckelavee)
18 inches (45 cm)

Pixies Condition Box says:
Furious +1 – uses both initiative cards
I just wanted to point out that the magical powers box states in all other cases (as far as I know) that they draw more than one initiative card.

Page 66 mentions a Brownie (placeholder page XX) in the Secret Box (Pooka) - I haven't found anything like that yet in the book. Maybe a typo, a cancelled vaesen or something yet to come?

Page 66 mentions that the Pooka can be killed with "certain magic items" - is this intended to be entirely up to the GMs or is there going to be a list?

I am sorry for the long post and I am sorry if some of the points are too much of a question rather than straight up typos. Anyway I hope it helps! :)

maniacalinc

Thu 23 Dec 2021, 19:46

A few observations on Ireland

Page 15 - Dublin “was founded by Norwegians in the 10th century”. The year 988 is the date the Irish first took control of Dublin from the Vikings and was celebrated in 1988 as the millennium of the city's foundation. But Vikings had founded the city by the 850’s at the latest. “First founded by the Vikings/Norse in the 9th century” would be better/more accurate.

FADAS!
Page 35 - The fada (accent) is correctly placed over the e in Dé Danann but is absent in other cases. “Tir Na Nog” should be “Tír Na nÓg”. Without going into the rules of the Irish language, it’s the same reason “of Ireland” is “na hÉireann”, not “na Héireann”.
Page 65 - Aos Si should be Aos Sí but also probably shouldn’t be used.
Page 66 - The Irish word from which “Pooka” is derived should be púca, not puca (this would be pronounced Pucka).

The word Sidhe references mounds found throughout Ireland where people believed the Tuatha dé Danann went after their defeat. After reforms to the Irish language in the 1940’s the word is now spelled as Sí. As the older Sidhe spelling was used by writers such as W.B. Yeats and Lady Gregory during the time period covered by this book, I think it should be standardised throughout as Sidhe. As such, on Page 65 Aos Si (sic) should be changed to Aos Sidhe.

Standardisation of Irish terms
Page 61 - For consistency with the spelling used for Leprechaun, Cluricaun should be changed to Clurichaun.

Page 34 - Consider Fionn mac Cumhaill instead of the anglicized spelling “Finn McCool”.

Kaybe

Thu 23 Dec 2021, 21:19

Question: can we also report typos or confusing things in the original game? There's no official errata out anywhere, so it would be nice to finally address those at the same time.

Fenhorn

Thu 23 Dec 2021, 21:38

Question: can we also report typos or confusing things in the original game? There's no official errata out anywhere, so it would be nice to finally address those at the same time.
Moderator Message: This thread is for this book only. If you have an errata or something that needs clarification in the other books, please start a new thread about that.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

maniacalinc

Fri 24 Dec 2021, 01:46

Page 55 - “The dearg due of Ireland” is not a creature from Irish folklore. It seems to be an attempt to take the story of the Ábhartach and turn it into a vampire. The name is meaningless and is a corruption of the name of a much older legend, the Deargadaol (the Devil’s coach-horse). The Dearg Due has only been traced back as far as 1928 to a book by an English clergyman. A more complete detailing of this “fakelore” can be found here.

connord

Fri 24 Dec 2021, 09:35

On page 23, for the headline -
"THE RAILWAY TERMINI"
I imagine that it meant Terminal.

Max Fibuli

Fri 24 Dec 2021, 12:43

Overall excellent. As far as the end of the first scenario, here are my observations:

Passim – consistency: “grey” & “gray” is mixed. British English uses the former.
Pg. 12 – [sp] “Burke and Hare”
Pg. 12 – [sp] “Sweeney Todd”
Pg. 12 – [sp] “Lovett”
Pg. 18 – William Shakespeare is buried in Stratford-upon-Avon. Poets’ Corner in Westminster Abbey displays memorials to great British & Irish writers, as well as being the place for some notable burials. Edmund Spenser perhaps would be a suitable alternative (author of The Faerie Queene).
Pg. 21 – [sp] “Highgate Cemetery”
Pg. 28 – Inspector Abberline is a real person – dates (1843-1929)
Pg. 29 – [sp] “A. J. Raffles”
Pg. 40 – [sp] “Apollonian”
Pg. 58 – “They” overly repeated at start of sentence.
Pg. 62 – [sp] “small stream that ran down”
Pg. 66 – [sp] “out gathering wood”
Pg. 79 – If Longby really is 27, then I suggest that he has resided in the village for five years, rather than ten. He would have been at Cambridge until he was 21 or 22…
Pg. 80 – [sp] “in their sleep”
Pg. 81 – [sp] “to free Billy”
Pg. 88 – [sp] “she had been fascinated”

faolannus

Fri 24 Dec 2021, 18:36

There seems to be two spellings of the Nuckelavee. Its swapped several times between nuckelavee and nuckleavee throughout the entry.
  • nuckelavee - Title of section pg. 62
  • nuckleavee - William Stukeley quote, sentence 4 pg. 62
  • nuckelavee - Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 pg. 62
  • nuckleavee - Paragraph 1 Sentence 2 pg. 62
  • nuckleavee - Ritual block, Sentence 1 pg. 62
  • nuckleavee - Examples of Conflicts, Paragraph 1, Sentence 3 pg. 63
  • nuckleavee - Examples of Conflicts, Paragraph 2, Sentence 1 pg. 63
  • nuckleavee - Examples of Conflicts, Paragraph 3, Sentence 2 pg. 63
  • nuckleavee - Secrets, Paragraph 1, Sentence 1 pg. 63
  • nuckelavee - Secrets, Paragraph 3, Sentence 1 pg. 63