TheStoryteller
Topic Author

Question about Feint and Initiatives

Thu 24 Sep 2020, 14:34

Extra success on a attack gives you the possibility to exchange initiative card with your opponent. How does this work the following senario?

Player A has initiative card #3
Player B has initiative card #4
Player C has initiative card #8

Vaesen Z has initiative card #7

Player A rolls 2 successes and choose to use the extra success to feint the vaesen. Player A now has intiative 7, and the Vaesen has initiative 3.

Will the Vaesen
a: imidetly do his turn - since he became #3?
Or
b: his intiative is postpones to the next round - since turn 3 is now done and it is Player B's turn?

This has boggled our group and I need to put my foot down regarding the issue, but since I am split in this question I turn to the community for aid.

I personally think that alternative b is almost too powerful, not many battles last more then 3 rounds. On the otherhand alterative a kinda, you know... sux.

Looking forward to read about your thoughts on this matter.

/The Storyteller

Fenhorn

Re: Question about Feint and Initiatives

Thu 24 Sep 2020, 15:10

This is perhaps not so clear in the rulebook, but all initiative changes happens at the start of a new round, before anyone has performed any action in the round. So if you feint an enemy, the changes doesn't happen until the next round. So you only feint someone (normally?) that has a better initiative than you.

Example
Round 1 (A has init 3; B has init 7)
Init 3) A attacks B in melee (slow), B dodges (fast, reaction). A gets one success while B get two successes. This means that A misses his attack. B uses his extra success to swap init cards.
Init 7) B draw a weapon (fast). A has a fast action left but since it is not his turn he can only use that for reactions.

Round 2 (A and B now has swapped initiative due to actions that happened in the last round)
Init 3) B shoot A with his newly drawn revolver (slow). A dodges (fast, reaction). B misses. This means that A has forfeited a fast action.
Init 7) A now decides to flee (slow). B has a fast action left that he can use for reactions. He decides to use it to chase A (fast, reaction).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

TheStoryteller
Topic Author

Re: Question about Feint and Initiatives

Thu 24 Sep 2020, 16:28

This is perhaps not so clear in the rulebook, but all initiative changes happens at the start of a new round, before anyone has performed any action in the round. So if you feint an enemy, the changes doesn't happen until the next round. So you only feint someone (normally?) that has a better initiative than you.

Example
Round 1 (A has init 3; B has init 7)
Init 3) A attacks B in melee (slow), B dodges (fast, reaction). A gets one success while B get two successes. This means that A misses his attack. B uses his extra success to swap init cards.
Init 7) B draw a weapon (fast). A has a fast action left but since it is not his turn he can only use that for reactions.

Round 2 (A and B now has swapped initiative due to actions that happened in the last round)
Init 3) B shoot A with his newly drawn revolver (slow). A dodges (fast, reaction). B misses. This means that A has forfeited a fast action.
Init 7) A now decides to flee (slow). B has a fast action left that he can use for reactions. He decides to use it to chase A (fast, reaction).

Thank you Fenhorn.

That makes perfekt sense.

/The Storyteller