Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Character Creation

Fri 17 Jan 2020, 08:54

Let´s open a thread just around character creation. 

My very first question: What are mementos? 

They are mentioned on page 18 and then never again. Should this be the everyday items?

And the second to follow: Has anyone figured out, how the occultist´s talent "Magic tricks" is meant? 

Are magic tricks just the tricks of a fairground magician or real little cantrips like the powers vaesen own. 
But this isn´t descriped anywhere, expect on page 120. But the description there doesn´t seem to fit with the talents description.

Byrax

Re: Character Creation

Sun 19 Jan 2020, 12:24

Yes, it seems that mementos are the defining items rolled for on page 23. 

Daïna

Sun 19 Jan 2020, 17:02

Since, for now, there’s no mention of any magic a PC could perform without using an item or the help of a Vaesen, I think the Magic Trick talent is for illusions and things a medium could do to impress gullible people. Especially if it’s originally based on Manipulation. 

fmitchell

Tue 21 Jan 2020, 23:03

"Magic Tricks" also read to me like stage magic, sleight of hand, mentalist tricks, and the sort of fakery 19th century spiritualists did. (And some modern mediums still do.) It's presumably more sophisticated than card tricks and cups and balls (or not?), but essentially mundane.
Frank Mitchell

HILDA: This isn't much of a pep talk. Can't you say, 'you can do it!'
ALFUR: Sure! You can do it! (Statement for encouragement purposes only. You may not actually be able to do it.)
-- Hilda ep. 9 (Netflix, 2018)