Byrax
Topic Author

Re: Vaesen - inspiration from other media

Wed 08 Jan 2020, 22:51

Romasanta: the werewolf hunt is set in a remote village in 1851. The village is under attack by wolves...

Vidocq is set in 1830 (if I remember correctly.)

Daïna

Sat 11 Jan 2020, 10:39

I can't remember if I have Romasanta or just something similar. I'll have to browse my DVD library.

I just realized I forgot to tell you about one of the best possible sources for urban ambiance for Vaesen : the Prime series "Carnival Row" ! It's set in a world that looks a lot like 19th century England, except it's not, and there are "fae" people exiled from their original land, and forcibly living amongst the humans. It's like everyone had the Sight, because they all see the fae, but it's great to show what can not work between civilization and fae world. 

Deep_Impact

Sat 11 Jan 2020, 12:23

Carnival Road is a great series, but I don´t see the clash of technology and fae world. It´s just a history of imigration, racism and prejudice (plus violence and sex - no modern series seems to work without nowadays).

Nevertheless, something one should have seen.

@Romasanta, haven`t seen Julian Sands for a long time. :)

I like the story in the Vaesen corebook about the werewolf that could be banned with the sound of a bell. Thought about using this scenario some day.

Daïna

Sat 11 Jan 2020, 16:28

GI saw something in the series reminding me of the “fight” between the old world with magic (fae) and the new world with humans. But maybe that’s just me.  ;)

If you don’t mind a bit of Japanese folklore, there is a great anime series called “Mushi-Shi” that has a lot to do with trying to protect people from Vaesen. In the series, Mushi are magical beings tied to every life form, and sometimes they put humans in grave danger. They are invisible except for a handful of people. Mushi-shi are traveling the world in order to keep Mushi from hurting people, and they have to adjust their methods because every Mushi needs a special ritual. I find it very inspiring. 
NB: the show isn’t scary or gloomy or something like that, it’s peaceful most of the time. Not the ambiance you want in a Vaesen game. But the tricks played by the Mushi and the various ways to keep them at bay are really interesting. 

Byrax
Topic Author

Fri 31 Jan 2020, 05:48

Some inspirational folklore & fairytale horror movies
https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorial ... ng-horror/

Byrax
Topic Author

Wed 13 May 2020, 14:32

Any good folklore/horror books out there which could be plundered for ideas/setting details for Vaesen?

There are a number in Swedish ones that covers "light horror" with a basis in folklore, most set in modern times. Vackra Svenska Kyrkor..., Gruvdamen, Vätten, Folktro, Kleptomania etc, but are there any good foreign ones?

Byrax
Topic Author

Thu 14 May 2020, 15:11

A very interesting video game set in a "Mythic Slavic World" 19th century:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mo ... FpEALw_wcB

A Vaesen sourcebook covering the Slavic region would be a good addition to the game line in the future!

Daïna

Thu 14 May 2020, 15:15

For France we have several 19th century writers who told tales of monsters : Théophile Gautier, Erkmann-Chatrian, Prosper Mérimée...
I don't know if you can find translations easily, though.

srdaine

Sun 11 Oct 2020, 15:29

Melmoth, by Sarah Perry. Won't spoil the plot of the book, but I think it provides a really good inspiration for a Vaesen mystery.