Topic Author

Vaesen - inspiration from other media

Sat 21 Dec 2019, 03:25

New Gothic horror series set in 1850 incoming:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/stephen-kings-j ... 1840537269

Daïna

Re: Vaesen - inspiration from other media

Sat 21 Dec 2019, 08:34

If you're into series, a non-fantastic series is great for the gloomy ambiance of Vaesen, but it's set in London: "Reaper Street". It's 1888 London, post-Jack the Reaper, but barely. 

As for movies... there is one where Santa Claus is a kind of Great Old One, and his "elves" are strange creatures too. It's a really weird movie, I must warn you, but you have a powerful Vaesen-like, in it. Maybe you know of it? "Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale". The story begins when a company digs too far, and rein-deers are slaughtered, and children begin to disappear. It's a horror movie. 

And if there are French people in here (for, sadly, there is no English translation), I warmly advise you to read the comic-book series "Les Démons d'Alexia" by Ers and Dugomier, story of a young woman who has the Sight and is recruited by a strange Society who deals with supernatural things and keeps regular humans from discovering their existence. Sounds familiar?  :D The setting is nowadays, but it's a really good inspiration for Vaesen. Ghosts, Witches, other creatures, there is a handful of possibilities. 

Byrax
Topic Author

Sat 21 Dec 2019, 22:30

Will def check up Ripper Street. Rare Exports is a classic - I like Krampus from 2015 as well, on the subject of mythical beings disrupting holiday seasons.

Byrax
Topic Author

Wed 25 Dec 2019, 14:26

Mikael Niemi’s “Koka Björn” will be coming in English in 2020. ‘To cook a bear”. A well-written murder-mystery set in Northern Sweden 1852. A bear is blamed for killing people... Could easily be used as inspiration about beliefs, society, knowledge etc as well as a detective scenario.

Daïna

Wed 25 Dec 2019, 17:06

1852 is nice! It’s closer to the time I aim at. Will definitely check that!

Byrax
Topic Author

Thu 02 Jan 2020, 20:02

New Gretel & Hansel movie coming in:

https://youtu.be/QZblQLhKcZQ

Looking really atmospheric and seriously creepy.

Daïna

Thu 02 Jan 2020, 22:07

Veeeeeery creepy indeed! I like the part where Gretel is told that she has the power to “see things as they are”, very Vaesen-like! 

Byrax
Topic Author

Thu 02 Jan 2020, 23:36

It is quite fascinating with the number of movies and series tapping into folklore and fairy tales in the last ten or so years; Pan’s Labyrinth, Penny Dreadful, Grimm, Taboo, Hellboy, Troll Hunter, Terror, Border etc.

Vaesen will hit right!

PS just in Sweden at least four other rpg’s are released with a folklore twist; Chock (Chill spinoff) with vaesens as monsters, Swedish Call of Cthulhu (also folkore to some extent), Skrômt (also). Good!

Byrax
Topic Author

Sat 04 Jan 2020, 02:10

BBCs new Dracula mini- series will hit Nextfix today. Written by team behind Sherlock - looking good, taking liberties with the source material, good reviews.

Zaarin

Sat 04 Jan 2020, 03:00

I recently played a game called Draugen. While it's not actually supernatural (probably) and is set in Norway rather than Sweden (and while I thought it was actually rather middling except visually), it got me thinking a great deal about Vaesen--especially the part where you encounter a book describing the titular væsen. If you can pick it up cheap and have three hours to spare you might find it inspirational. (While not my favorite walking simulator, it's visually stunning and atmospheric: have to grant it that much. It really evokes the mood of Norwegian romantic nationalism. Kinda made me want to move to a little town on a fjord--or at least run a Tales from the Loop game in a little town on a fjord...The soundtrack is also phenomenal and would make a great soundtrack to Vaesen--or even Tales from the Loop if you shoot for more atmospheric and less 80s vibe.)