Daïna
Topic Author

Resources for ambiance and inspiration

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 09:20

I found some nice things to help put people in the right mood for Vaesen games: 
- 19th century photographs of Uppsala by Photographer Emma Schenson : https://monovisions.com/emma-schenson-1 ... biography/ (it's more "late 19th" than middle century pictures, but it's nice anyway)
- (very late) 19th century map of Uppsala https://www.discusmedia.com/upload/resi ... 161101.jpg
- Online map of Uppsala from 1882 : http://art.alvin-portal.org/alvin/viewe ... HMENT-0001

If you have any more resources for 19th century Sweden, I'm really interested! Not knowing the area very well, I need all the help I can have from old pictures or maps to be able to reconstruct a mental image of it. :) 

EDIT : by the way, I would like some help for the translation of the online map's legend. If some of you Swedish people could help and translate it for me, it would be very sweet! Here it is (I think most words are actually names for districts, but I'd like to understand what is written on top and on bottom of it):

Byrax

Re: Resources for ambiance and inspiration

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 10:19

Good excavating! Really helpful.

Indeed, the block names in Swedish is the top legend. Blocks: Lejonet = the Lion. etc.

Bottom legend = first house to left = living quarters. house symbol to right = house without fireplace.

Daïna
Topic Author

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 10:35

Thank you. I love doing my research when I'm discovering a new setting. ;) 
Thank you fort translating the legend for the houses. It helps, since I'm trying to make a list of helpful words for my future players to try and understand the map. ;) 

Byrax

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 11:41

You are welcome!
Bottom two houses = "stone houses".
Above them, "Railway line".

I get the feeling this map is partly a projected construction map due to the legend (projected streets, for instance).

Daïna
Topic Author

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 14:01

Probably. But the buildings already there (not the all blocs with the names, but the center of the city) seem to be on previous maps of the city, like those from 18th century:
(Yes, I'm a freak who likes to compare maps from various eras to figure out what changed in-between...  :lol: )
Careful: the observatory listed on the 1882 map is the "new" observatory built in 1853. The previous one was downtown, near Nyra Torget if I understand correctly. 

Byrax

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 14:59

Keep 'em coming!

Daïna
Topic Author

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 16:19

Aha  :lol: 
I'm glad to see someone likes it too. 
If anyone wants to take their players out of Sweden and needs 19th century maps of big cities, ask me... I have dozens of them. London, Paris, Edinburgh, Cairo, Rome... I have them all.  :geek:

As for Uppsala, this online map, made in 1842, shows drawings of the city as it was as well. I like it ! 
http://www.alvin-portal.org/alvin/image ... dswid=3963

EDIT: I'm very excited to say that, having compared two maps, one of 1842 and another of 1858, I found evidence that the Observatory indeed moved between those two dates. Its location moves from Svartsbäcks-rotan (downtown block) to out of the city. So nice to see the evolution of the city in a little over a decade!  :D

Byrax

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 18:34

Super useful! 

As regards other countries; Vaesen could easily be adapted by Fria Ligan to the: 
  • British Islands, 
  • Slavic Europe/Russia, 
  • Central Europe/Germany (maybe overlapping with above),
  • France/Spain/Italy, 
  • US/CSA
    as all have a similar "hidden world/fairy folklore". Just add new art and stats of the local folkloric creatures and legends (Egerkranz as the artist is a must though) and writeups about the specific region/time. Most non waesen art and rules/generica will work as is. Translate to local languages as well as English. Instant success.  Or offer the region books as a add-on line (with country specific scenarios based on local legends for each) to the core book - I would buy all!
Last edited by Byrax on Thu 05 Dec 2019, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

Daïna
Topic Author

Thu 05 Dec 2019, 15:21

If some of you like to have pictures for NPCs, there is an awesome tutorial on how to make a picture look really old with Photoshop on this website and also an alternative way on this other website.
It works nice. I can show you some of my results: 
Image  Filip, the Butler
Image  Breda, the Maid
Image  Vera Vintersdotter, the eccentric Lady, posing in front of the New Observatory in Uppsala. 

Daïna
Topic Author

Wed 11 Dec 2019, 18:26

I don't even know if some of you find this interesting, but whatever, I made some resources for myself, and I feel like sharing them:
Here is a map of 1858 Uppsala according to various sources (I hope I made no mistake) translated in English and captioned. I also have the same map with no captions but old photos of Uppsala instead, for those who like pictures. 

So, if you feel like using them for your games, be my guest! :)
(Edit for a better quality)