aramis

Re: Vaesen soundtrack suggestions

Sun 20 Sep 2020, 07:06

Last night in session, I called for "Chariots of Fire in a Minor Key" ... it set just the right tone at the moment for the fight with the Church Grim.
I almost never use music in session, but I was looking something up and it was the perfect fill... (They weren't trying to kill it. It didn't care.)

If I could have remembered the band name at the time, I'd have used Steve-n-Seagulls "Nothing Else Matters" cover last week's session (Ch. 1 - when they started the fight at escalation 1...)

Whether anyone else finds those appropriate, my group did/would.

Editing in links:
Steve'n'Seagulls Nothing Else Matters : Youtube
Steve'n'Seagulls main page on Spotify
Oleg Berg Chariots of Fire in a Minor Key : Youtube
Last edited by aramis on Mon 21 Sep 2020, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Carl_Ohrn

Jan Johansson - Re: Vaesen soundtrack suggestions

Sun 20 Sep 2020, 15:24

The Jan Johansson album "Jazz på svenska" (Jazz in Swedish) is iconic, Swedish melancholy at its best.
The tracks are "folk jazz", and very Swedish, in my ears. One of Swedens best jazz pianists. (Dead since long)
OK, jazz was not invented in the mid 1800s, but hey, it is a soundtrack. And the invoked feelings are timeless.

Sidenote: It would be cool to move Vaesen +100 years, to the Nordic 1960s. Equip the characters with turtleneck polos, sideburns and thickrimmed glasses. Play Jan Johansson "Jazz på svenska" on repeat and tackle those pesty trolls.

Best tracks:
  • Berg-Kirstis polska (lovely crescendo, you can feel being "bergtagen" (taken by the mountain väsens).
  • Visa från Utanmyra (beautiful to tears)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... a4mdtCAMBJ
-----
Carl

Byrax
Topic Author

Sun 20 Sep 2020, 15:31

Some of Frida Johanssons compositions have old folk tunes lingering around in the ambiance. Fitting for the period. I am not sure about too modern synthscapes or well-known tracks/soundtracks, as they divert attention from the game IMO. Better then with unknown ambient ˋperiodˋ sounds that evoke the game’s era and vibe. Looking forward to the KS-soundtrack.
Last edited by Byrax on Mon 21 Sep 2020, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

Daïna

Sun 20 Sep 2020, 17:01

From the playlist by Egerkrans, I had a big crush on Mark Korven’s “The Lighthouse” and “The Witch”. I bought the whole albums. That and Frida Johansson and you have my Vaesen new playlist. :D Korven covers the horror style and Johansson the faerie style.
For those who want longer tracks with an horror vibe, there is a nice KS there: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/my ... oundscapes

Carl_Ohrn

Please post your Playlists (Spotify, Youtube etc) Re: Vaesen soundtrack suggestions

Sun 20 Sep 2020, 17:37

Hi

If you feel like it, please post links to your Vaesen playlists.
Preferrably on Spotify, but Youtube etc also works.
;-)
-----
Carl

Daïna

Sun 20 Sep 2020, 18:47

You can find "The Witch" album by Mark Korven here: https://open.spotify.com/album/2dyltpFs ... RlAEgM7oyw
"The Lighthouse" is here: https://open.spotify.com/album/2BhIDZrV ... X3-R2vAkYA
Frida Johansson's "Bortbytingen - Dramaten" is here: https://open.spotify.com/album/2py2LHCn ... 8Fu3sPkT3A
Sorry, I didn't arrange them in a single playlist, since I use any track from any of those 3 albums according to the game's mood. :)

Byrax
Topic Author

Mon 21 Sep 2020, 14:04

I prefer a playlist/set of "neutral" background music that evokes the general time/setting - good for starting things up, life in the country, travel, ordinary life - no threats.
Then a set with more sinister, creepy music for investigations, the dark woods, sneaking into the lord's mansion or the troll king's court, the abandoned cabin etc.
And the third is a scarier, more dramatic set for action-oriented scenes/confrontation/even combat/panic/fleeing in terror.

aramis

Thu 24 Sep 2020, 19:41

I prefer a playlist/set of "neutral" background music that evokes the general time/setting - good for starting things up, life in the country, travel, ordinary life - no threats.
Then a set with more sinister, creepy music for investigations, the dark woods, sneaking into the lord's mansion or the troll king's court, the abandoned cabin etc.
And the third is a scarier, more dramatic set for action-oriented scenes/confrontation/even combat/panic/fleeing in terror.
Whereas I cannot use background music at all - it interferes too much with intelligibility. So any music I use has to have a foreground presence, be used as "please hold while GM recalculates."

Very different uses. (And that's before accounting for actual taste in music - I utterly detest the piano; it was the bane of my undergrad years...so anything piano based goes down several steps,)
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Daïna

Fri 25 Sep 2020, 12:14

I don't use background music either, I only play music when something important happens or when the players discover a new place.

Anders Gabrielsson

Fri 25 Sep 2020, 14:25

I used this track of Jonna Jinton's kulning as the intro music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvtT3Uy ... onnaJinton