Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Vaesen Lifepath idea

Mon 18 Nov 2019, 09:17

In the kickstarter we began to discuss the Lifepath table. I know and love them from Forbidden Lands.
Usually Vaesen only uses D6, which gives a quite small varity of events. Using D66 seems to be unbearable for Fria Ligan and 2D6 tends to results in the middle....
So I came up with the idea to use the initiative cards instead. 

(From here on, it´ll become highly speculative, because we have no information about the cards or character creation in Vaesen. Just experience with former YZ games.)

Random Character Creation with Cards

Starting with 10 cards (❶➋➌➍➎➏➐➑➒❿) and shuffling them:
❿➌➎➋➑➏➒➍❶➐

Now we lay them out or draw at one at a time. The GM (Gypsy Mystic) now begins to clairvoyant the past of our character:
  • ❿➌ = ❿ Social Background and ➌ Childhood-Event (If there is no background we could easly use 00% for events)
  • ➎➋ = on the table for professions. (00% to make some professions more rare than others)
  • ➑ = on the table for profession talents (if there are any)
  • ➏➒➍ = draw 1-3 cards for Formative Events (depending on age, incl. attribute degradation)
  • (Optional) Redistribute one attribute point.
  • ❶ = on the table "How the Society found you?".
  • Select a Pride, Dark Secret and Relationship
The idea offers advantages and disadvantages. Certain combinations are mutually exclusive and cannot occur. Advantage: It can also not happen that you roll the same Formative Event more than once. 

What do you think?

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Re: Vaesen Lifepath idea

Thu 21 Nov 2019, 16:06

Just a scribble :)

Ebrim

Fri 22 Nov 2019, 05:10

I think it's a really cool idea. It also feels like it might fit the theme. Even if it doesn't go through for the initial release maybe it's something that would be considered for an expansion.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Fri 22 Nov 2019, 08:23

I guess, that 99% of the book and the stretchgoals are already completly written and in a good share layouted. So they had to change to table from 6 to 10 options. Would be very cool move, if they do.
But we will see.

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Fri 22 Nov 2019, 09:32

And a full set of ten cards. Not completly satisfied with the 10 till now...

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Mon 25 Nov 2019, 18:03

Zitat
A full set of custom cards for the Vaesen roleplaying game. They will include practical initiative cards and either a set of life path cards or equipment cards.
Cool 8-)

Moderator Action: Changed the oversized emoji to a smiley of a more moderate size.
- Fenhorn

Deep_Impact
Topic Author

Sat 02 May 2020, 07:14

Dropped :(

Ebrim

Tue 12 May 2020, 06:02

The lifepaths in the book look quite good. I'll probably play around with making a character later.

Your idea was cool though. :)
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Byrax

Wed 13 May 2020, 14:37

I really like the lifepath and way that social standing affects your profession when compared to the archetype (low social class might be an enlisted soldier, but higher will be an officer)! Much diversity and good use of the (limited) archetypes and a good representation of the era's rigid social structure.

Fenhorn

Wed 13 May 2020, 14:39

I really like the lifepath and way that social standing affects your profession when compared to the archetype (low social class might be an enlisted soldier, but higher will be an officer)! Much diversity and good use of the (limited) archetypes and a good representation of the era's rigid social structure.
A agree. I have done a bunch of test characters because it is fun to do and to see the various outcomes.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore