Eddy Octane

Christianity in Vaesen

Thu 20 Feb 2020, 13:06

Got a question. Shouldnt the talent "Absolution" and "Confessor" of the priest be renamed? Almost 90 percent of all skandinavian priest where protestant by that time and confession and absolution is a catholical thing.
The "Absolution" Talent states that a character who confesses heals three conditions instead of two. Did i miss any kind of confession mechanism in the Pdf or is it still to come in the Beta PDF?

Deep_Impact

Re: Christianity in Vaesen

Thu 20 Feb 2020, 15:22

Confessing is one of the possible activities mentioned to heal yourself (page 73).

And by the way:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confess ... an_Church)
Last edited by Deep_Impact on Thu 20 Feb 2020, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

Fenhorn

Thu 20 Feb 2020, 15:41

The Church of Sweden have confessions, but it is not mandatory and not common. It was mandatory up to the 18th century when a person took part of the Eucharist rite.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Eddy Octane

Thu 20 Feb 2020, 16:01

Wow. Ok this was new to me. Thank you very much.
I never heard of these things in north germany where i am from. Almost all exclusivly lutheran here.

Fenhorn

Thu 20 Feb 2020, 16:08

I never heard of these things in north germany where i am from. Almost all exclusivly lutheran here.
So is the Church of Sweden (by which most people belong to in the 20th century). I wondered about this myself so I went to the Church of Sweden's site and they had a section about confessions, how to "order" one and that up to the 19th century it was mandatory with the holy supper rite.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Deep_Impact

Thu 20 Feb 2020, 16:09

Eddy, maybe you should read the article about the Beichte of the EKD. It just works in a complete other way. Guess you haven't realised the part of the Gottesdienst where your sins are confessed. :) it's mostly the Vergib uns unsere Schuld, wie auch wir vergeben unseren Schuldigern.

fmitchell

Fri 21 Feb 2020, 10:37

Historically, priests traditionally served as counsellors, whether it was a sacrament or simply charity. Look at chaplains in various armies, for example. The names of the talents are roughly appropriate to their function, even if they confer no otherworldly sacrament.

Also, my impression from a few quick Wikipedia searches was that the Swedish Church was vaguely like the Anglican Church in Britain: significant doctrinal differences with Rome (notably who's in charge) but with most of the "high church" trappings and practices, including the sacraments. Since the Mythic North is a sort of alternate history, that's roughly how I'll play it.

(As I mentioned in another thread, I'm still trying to learn about 19th century Scandinavia, historical Christianity being one aspect. As someone raised Catholic in America's "Bible Belt", it's a little hard to get a handle on the shades between full Catholicism and the iconoclasm of, say, Baptists.)
Frank Mitchell

HILDA: This isn't much of a pep talk. Can't you say, 'you can do it!'
ALFUR: Sure! You can do it! (Statement for encouragement purposes only. You may not actually be able to do it.)
-- Hilda ep. 9 (Netflix, 2018)

aramis

Sat 29 Feb 2020, 09:45

It's still used (infrequently) by several of the (40+) Lutheran synods in the US. I've been aware of confession being available in LCMS and WELS parishes, due to friends in parishes of one or the other.  The diversity in doctrine and praxis of the various Lutheran denominations is quite wide, especially in nations where no one Lutheran denomination is state approved church, let alone a national official church. 

I suspect, however, game use of the Lutheran praxis should be kept to a level that won't cause verisimilitude issues - especially if you've Lutheran players. 

It's also worth noting that leaving Lutheranism for Catholicism was decriminalized historically in 1860, and travellers who were Catholic¹ or Old Catholic² were allowed since the late 18th C, so, if your players are uncomfortable with a "Catholic-Light" Lutheran Church, you can have parishes of those denominations providing the confessional without being too ahistorical. 

¹: as in, in communion with Rome, aka Papists
²: Union of Utrecht. Which, when the Nederlands became protestant, broke ties to Rome. Still exists as a denomination.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...
GZIP: Off