Byrax

Re: Vaesen Questions

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 13:15

Thanks!

Assume Writer can sub for journalist, Officer for soldier and Academic for both scientist and engineer. 

Still want to see official rules for explorer, travelling salesman, noble, industrialist, hunter and a "generic" laborer (covering farmer, sailor, woodsman, miner, factory & harbor worker etc given the industrialisation of the era).
Last edited by Byrax on Mon 02 Dec 2019, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

Deep_Impact

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 13:37

Why are you so keen for 'offical rules'?

Byrax

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 14:53

Want to keep my own rules writing to a minimum, and prefer RAW. More options for typical professions for the game is good IMO and prevents lengthy discussions if someone wants to "break" the system with an own super career. No biggie, but like that the roles players are supposed to play to be well thought out with good variations/customization and applicable to the time/era setting. Let the player focus on imaginative issues with the chosen character, not the rules/balancing themselves. No questions like this "why didn´t they include this - is this the beta bla bla, aha they will sell splatbooks later, typical! the greedy bastards".

I have seen the same comments regarding the new Mutant Hindenburg (lacking somewhat in options for professions/archetypes). There was also a lot of discussions about missing (official) animal types in Genlab Alpha back then. Want to avoid that in Vaesen!
Last edited by Byrax on Mon 02 Dec 2019, 18:37, edited 2 times in total.

Deep_Impact

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 15:20

If you find a way to break the game with an imbalanced profession let me. Not meant sarkastically, really want to know if this is possible somehow. Think we just have a very different approach to roleplay. I have both extrems in my group: Power- and Storygamers, just trust, that the rules are stable enough to stand them.

To be honest: No one knows how the system will work finally. Guess skills are 100% Tales from the Loop:
Attribute + Skill (+ Icon Item / + Help) vs. #Success

But combat might give some possibilities to optimize a character. Maybe they split BODY in two attributes or combat in more than just FORCE. But I can´t imagine that they will focus that much on it.

But if a player wishes a strong focus on a special talent? Why not. Maybe he (or she) wants to play a typical face - a criminal social chameleon.

As far as I heard they skipped the Luck mechanic.

Byrax

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 22:16

Official answer over at the KSforum;
They are: Academic, Servant, Officer, Vagabond, Doctor, Private investigator, Occultist, Writer, Hunter and Priest
Last edited by Byrax on Mon 02 Dec 2019, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

Deep_Impact

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 22:54

Over at the forum?

Byrax

Mon 02 Dec 2019, 23:01

The Kickstarter forum that is.

Daïna

Tue 03 Dec 2019, 08:03

Yes I just saw that answer. I like those professions even if they lack a “Dockworker” or some generic hard physical labour. 
I don’t think “Noble” is needed because at that time a Noble had another occupation too, like Academic, Officer or Writer.
However, I would have liked something like “Philanthropist”, because there was a small amount of people so rich they didn’t know what to do with their money.  ;)

Byrax

Tue 03 Dec 2019, 14:52

Daïna; You are right with Noble - probably some similar perk that can be bought and will affect wealth in the game will be there - better that way. 

I also really want to see a generic worker occupation - not only "better sort's" in the game. People with the Sight should come from all walks of life. 

An Explorer can probably be covered by Academic to some extent, but a travelling salesman/wealthy business owner (both being typical for the era/setting) seem hard to squeeze in among the limited choices as of now. Sorry for arguing, but I really see problems with the limited choices from start.

Deep_Impact

Tue 03 Dec 2019, 15:10

Just curious: May I ask if you both have played TftL or TftF before?

Hope they do not use anything as like money in the sense of a countable measure. The Society should watch for their employees, so that things like traveling, board and lodging or consumables aren´t a matter of budget.

Wealth could be integrated in game mechanic as something like an iconic item "Heir's purse". So that you could add +2 if it fits (bribery, having a grand entrance, giving a exorbitantly feast, impress a nobleman).

Year Zero knows different rules for consumables, that could be used. But I hope they focus on the narrative approach, but the crunchy one.
GZIP: Off