Jarmo

Re: Errata and Clarifications

Sat 20 Jul 2019, 23:51

1) Are players allowed to draw 2 Crusade Cards even when they don't have the Archbishop Development Card?

It's clear that they can only perform one Crusade action per Era without the Archbishop, but can they still draw and play the second card for the Event only? This seems like a useful strategy if allowed as the Crusade Events are beneficial for the player.

In the Crusade Cards section of the rule book it says:
"A player may not perform more than one Crusade action in a single Era, unless they have the Archbishop Development Card (at the time of choosing cards for the Round)."

"At the time of choosing cards for the Round" seems to imply that they must have an Archbishop to even draw a second Crusade card, but this is confirmed nowhere else. The rules only say (in several places) that you can draw 1-2 Crusade cards, the possible prerequisite is not mentioned.

2) The quote above also seems to imply that they are allowed to play the second Crusade card for both the Action and the Event even if they lose the Archbishop after the card draw. Is this correct? If it is, this seems to confirm that an Archbishop is a prerequisite for even drawing the second card (as the playing of the second card is then totally decoupled from the need to have an Archbishop; they can always play the second card for all of its effects if they can just draw it in the first place).

But this is all rules-lawyering conjecture based on an almost off-hand mention. I'd much rather know the actual intent of the designers. Also, to me this feels important enough to add to the FAQ.

Tomas
Site Admin

Sun 21 Jul 2019, 15:56

Hi!

"At the time of choosing cards for the Round" means when you choose your two Action Cards to play in a Round - not when you choose your eight (or more) cards for the Era. All players can draw one or two Crusade Cards at the start of the Era, even without the Archbishop. But in order to actually play a second Crusade card, you need to have the Archbishop at the time when you choose your two cards to play in the Round. This comment is important because it means that your second Crusade action is not cancelled even if your Archbishop is killed or bribed before the card is actually played.
Fria Ligan

Jarmo

Sun 21 Jul 2019, 18:03

Thanks, Tomas! Also, very dedicated of you to work on a Sunday. :)

EagleV

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 10:51

Last night we had an event that gave the next player a pact with the closest independent territory. That territory already had a pact with another player. Does it remove that earlier pact?
I don't have the game with me right now, so can't give you the exact wording, but I can look it up tonight if you want me to.

DarkFiligrana

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 15:50

Hi! Yesterday we played our first game and we loved it. 

I would apprieciate some clarification on achievements and how they are handed over from one player to another. As an example, our situation last night was the following:
Player A has 3 tokens in the Crusader track and the Crusader achievement.
Player B has 3 tokens in the Crusader track.
Player C has 2 tokens in the Crusader track.
Due to an event, player C chooses to replace one token from player A with one of his tokens (I was player A, by the way :( ). What happens to the Crusader achievement? Similar situations with other achievements could be possible, for example, if a castle of the player with the Builder achievement is conquered or if a Councillor of the player with the Inventor achievement is Bribed.

Thanks in advance!

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 24 Jul 2019, 16:59

Last night we had an event that gave the next player a pact with the closest independent territory. That territory already had a pact with another player. Does it remove that earlier pact?
I don't have the game with me right now, so can't give you the exact wording, but I can look it up tonight if you want me to.
No - when an independent territory has entered a Pact, it's not considered (fully) independent any longer. So the event only applies to territories which still have a character card on them.
Fria Ligan

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 24 Jul 2019, 17:05

Hi! Yesterday we played our first game and we loved it. 

I would apprieciate some clarification on achievements and how they are handed over from one player to another. As an example, our situation last night was the following:
Player A has 3 tokens in the Crusader track and the Crusader achievement.
Player B has 3 tokens in the Crusader track.
Player C has 2 tokens in the Crusader track.
Due to an event, player C chooses to replace one token from player A with one of his tokens (I was player A, by the way :( ). What happens to the Crusader achievement? Similar situations with other achievements could be possible, for example, if a castle of the player with the Builder achievement is conquered or if a Councillor of the player with the Inventor achievement is Bribed.

Thanks in advance!
Hello and we're glad you enjoyed the game!

In this case, we'd recommend that Player C gets the Crusader achievement, as Player A is no longer "in the lead". Players B and C are tied for most Shields, but Player C was the active party in the event.
Fria Ligan

EagleV

Wed 24 Jul 2019, 18:36

No - when an independent territory has entered a Pact, it's not considered (fully) independent any longer. So the event only applies to territories which still have a character card on them.
That makes sense, thanks a lot!

Fenhorn

Wed 24 Jul 2019, 18:51

The FAQ for the game has been updated.

Crusader Kings the Board Game FAQ
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Fenhorn

Fri 26 Jul 2019, 09:06

A backer asked a question in the Crusader Kings Kickstarter comments that is interesting. Kickstarter comments are not the easiest place to find things so I thought I copy the question into here. 

Thomas (Kickstarter Backer) asked:
Got a question I could not find the answer for on google. It says everything is tradeable (with some listed exceptions) so we assumed that included territories, but how do we treat mobilized territories? Do the recieving player get an army as well? Can only unmobilized territores be transfered? The rules seems to say that you can only demobilize an army at a certain point, so we were hesitant to just demobilize it at will.
Fria Ligan answered:
@Thomas: Territories can be traded, but they need to be demobilized first.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore