Fenhorn

Re: Errata and Clarifications

Sun 30 Jun 2019, 22:55

I have uploaded a Crusader Kings FAQ, answered by Tomas Härenstam (lead designer for the game). The FAQ can be found here:

Crusader Kings the Board Game FAQ
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

BIONIKBONCE

Wed 03 Jul 2019, 14:01

Question re Duchies
In the previous rules on page 12 it has a specific note 'When a player Taxes, a Duchy produces 1 less Gold than normal'. The rules delivered with the game have this note missing though they both still mention it in the section about The Tax Cards on page 15.
What is the correct rule, do Duchies produce 1 less gold (for some reason the point that was on page 12 of the previous rules has disappeared) or do they produce as normal (and the comment on page 15 relating to The Tax Cards and the effect of Duchies is incorrect).

Fenhorn

Wed 03 Jul 2019, 14:30

Question re Duchies
In the previous rules on page 12 it has a specific note 'When a player Taxes, a Duchy produces 1 less Gold than normal'. The rules delivered with the game have this note missing though they both still mention it in the section about The Tax Cards on page 15.
What is the correct rule, do Duchies produce 1 less gold (for some reason the point that was on page 12 of the previous rules has disappeared) or do they produce as normal (and the comment on page 15 relating to The Tax Cards and the effect of Duchies is incorrect).
The rule on p15 doesn't contradict the rules on p11-12. The rule about taxing and duchies was written twice in the old beta rulebook (both on p12 and p15), but there is no need for that.

BIONIKBONCE

Wed 03 Jul 2019, 17:15

Not sure I appreciate the tone of your answer but let me give you some advice which you can feel free to ignore.
You wrote "The rule about taxing and duchies was written twice in the old beta rulebook (both on p12 and p15), but there is no need for that." YOU'RE WRONG.
The section on page 12 lists the effects of a Duchy and therefore should include all the effects including the fact that you collect 1 less gold when you tax it. To leave this out and only mention it on page 15 in the section on Tax Cards will lead to some people forgetting this rule. It could also lead to arguments between players about whether there should be a reduction or not unless they stumble across this post.
The fact that the previous version correctly included all effects of a Duchy on page 12 and the published version doesn't is frankly bemusing and your reply that it was purposefully removed doesn't make any sense at all.

Fenhorn

Wed 03 Jul 2019, 17:46

Not sure I appreciate the tone of your answer <>  and your reply that it was purposefully removed doesn't make any sense at all.
My intentions with my tone was to be simple and straightforward.

I am not one of the designers for this game, so I don't know the reasoning behind certain whats and whats not.

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 04 Jul 2019, 16:52

Duchies do not produce less Gold. This was the case in the Beta rulebook, but that rule was removed. Unfortunately it was not removed from page 15, but it should have been.
Fria Ligan

BIONIKBONCE

Thu 04 Jul 2019, 18:17

That's a lot clearer now, thank you for the reply. I was struggling to understand why it was removed from page 12 if it still applied.

CharlieFinton

Sat 06 Jul 2019, 14:43

Hi there,

Two quick questions.

1. As per page 16 of the rulebook: "All players must take at least one Crusade Card at the beginning of each Era. One - and only one - Crusade action must be performed before the Era ends."

Is the intent here that every player must attempt at least one Crusade action per Era, or that at least one player attempts at least one Crusade action per Era.

2. Regarding a specific instance encountered using the Treachery (Plot/Overthrow) card:

Player A played the Treachery card, sending their heir to Player B's dynasty, as per the card "The heir makes a daring escape to the court of the next player,"
Does Player B then put the traits from Player A's heir into their trait bag? ("and brings their Trait Tokens with them to that dynasty.").

Also since this character (the heir, now discarded as per the card) was a Duke with a spouse, what happens to the Duchy and the spouse card and traits?

Fenhorn

Sat 06 Jul 2019, 15:14

As per page 16 of the rulebook: "All players must take at least one Crusade Card at the beginning of each Era. One - and only one - Crusade action must be performed before the Era ends."
Is the intent here that every player must attempt at least one Crusade action per Era, or that at least one player attempts at least one Crusade action per Era.
It means that all players must take at least one Crusade Card (may take two if they want to) when they draw their cards and before the Era ends must all must have played a Crusade Card and attempted to do the Crusade Action. Normally, a player can only do one Crusade Action per Era, but there are exceptions to this.

Regarding a specific instance encountered using the Treachery (Plot/Overthrow) card:
Player A played the Treachery card, sending their heir to Player B's dynasty, as per the card "The heir makes a daring escape to the court of the next player,"
Does Player B then put the traits from Player A's heir into their trait bag? ("and brings their Trait Tokens with them to that dynasty.").
Also since this character (the heir, now discarded as per the card) was a Duke with a spouse, what happens to the Duchy and the spouse card and traits?
As I read it, yes the Next Player gets the Trait Token(s) that was on the Character Card and then the character card is discarded and the Next Player also earns a CB against you.

CharlieFinton

Sat 06 Jul 2019, 15:39

As per page 16 of the rulebook: "All players must take at least one Crusade Card at the beginning of each Era. One - and only one - Crusade action must be performed before the Era ends."
Is the intent here that every player must attempt at least one Crusade action per Era, or that at least one player attempts at least one Crusade action per Era.
It means that all players must take at least one Crusade Card (may take two if they want to) when they draw their cards and before the Era ends must all must have played a Crusade Card and attempted to do the Crusade Action. Normally, a player can only do one Crusade Action per Era, but there are exceptions to this.

Regarding a specific instance encountered using the Treachery (Plot/Overthrow) card:
As I read it, yes the Next Player gets the Trait Token(s) that was on the Character Card and then the character card is discarded and the Next Player also earns a CB against you.
Thanks for the quick reply Fenhorn!

Just to follow up, have you any thoughts on what is done with the Duchy and spouse (+ traits) of the now discarded character?