Fireinthedust
Topic Author

How unique can we be?

Sun 06 Dec 2020, 02:38

What are the limits of what we can do creatively with the Free League Workshop?

Can we use Forbidden Lands rules but with our own "house rules" and assumed setting? For example, if we have a personal setting that has different Kin, or that doesn't have Druids as written, can we add our own Kin and take on spellcasting classes?
Or if for rules there was a minor tweak for combat that doesn't use the modifiers for Doge vs Sweep or Stab, but it's otherwise the same - would that be okay to have in a quick "differences from standard FL" sidebar or section?

My reason: I'd like to make material for the Free League Workshop, which is going to be identical/compatible with standard Forbidden Lands material, but is (a) in a different setting, and (b) uses different classes than in the Forbidden Lands core book.

To be clear, I'm talking minor modifications, but NOT anything like a totally new game that's based off the Year Zero engine (as interesting as that project would be for me, mind you, that's not what I'm thinking). In theory it could be compatible with standard Forbidden Lands, even if the assumptions for things are different - like there aren't Orcs in this setting, or if there are they're very different from how they're portrayed in the standard Forbidden Lands.

Although doing a fully different game/setting based on the Year Zero engine would be cool. Is THAT allowed?

lupex

Re: How unique can we be?

Sun 06 Dec 2020, 11:50

It’s my understanding this would be absolutely fine.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Fireinthedust
Topic Author

Sun 06 Dec 2020, 21:47

It’s my understanding this would be absolutely fine.
Both house rules and new materials?

What if someone was going to do a full "this is the game I designed" the way one does with OGL material? Not that I have one of those, just trying to understand the intent of the workshop.

Fenhorn

Sun 06 Dec 2020, 22:01

The OGL can be used as is or tweaked by you, any way you want. If you are going to use a rule from one of the FL games that isn't in OGL, like some people have lately been asking if they could use the two dice system from the new T2K, then you have to re-write it yourself, you can't just copy it word by word. Tomas said (on Free Leagues YT channel) about this that you can't just copy it, but you can write your own tweak of the OGL with for example the T2K two dice rule in mind, using your own words.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Fireinthedust
Topic Author

Sun 06 Dec 2020, 23:11

The OGL can be used as is or tweaked by you, any way you want. If you are going to use a rule from one of the FL games that isn't in OGL, like some people have lately been asking if they could use the two dice system from the new T2K, then you have to re-write it yourself, you can't just copy it word by word. Tomas said (on Free Leagues YT channel) about this that you can't just copy it, but you can write your own tweak of the OGL with for example the T2K two dice rule in mind, using your own words.
Oh, cool! That makes it a bit easier, actually.

Does this mean that if I wanted a "Stress die" mechanic from Alien RPG, I'd have to write it out myself? I'll have to check out the Youtube.

pelorus

Sun 06 Mar 2022, 12:22

I was wondering this. I kinda assumed I wouldn't write any rule that wasn't already written unless I was changing it. It would be neat to have a ruleset in the book but I'm also fine with forcing folks to buy T2000. I've no interest in rewriting every rule in T2000.
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/