rik
Topic Author

Alternative Pushing Roll methods?

Fri 08 May 2020, 17:22

I would like to use the Year Zero Engine for a Sci-fi setting, but I would like to simplify the dice roll to a single pool, as in Coriolis, without having to differentiate the dice by color.
But I don't think of an alternative mechanic to make push roll a risk.
Do you have any advice?

lupex

Re: Alternative Pushing Roll methods?

Fri 08 May 2020, 17:36

Do you have the alien game, as the stress mechanic is very good for building tension from pushed rolls?
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

rik
Topic Author

Fri 08 May 2020, 17:47

Alien's system isn't bad, like all Free League games, it's a great job!
Bit I'd like to try not to copy the other mechanics, if not the basic one.

Halvtand

Sun 10 May 2020, 11:55

I think you might be in over your head there.
The pushing mechanic and the differently coloured dice accomplished several things:
Adds risk to the roll
Adds a second chance to get a success
Shows what gets a Bane (attribute/skill/gear/magic) For self-harm or damaged gear purposes

You want to do the same thing with only one roll and with the same dice.
What I suggest is having a good think about how much risk you want in your game. Are Banes supposed to be counted as they appear or is there some form of activator?
To do it all with one colour dice could work if you have the rule that either 1. Any gear takes damage before the character or 2. The player can choose to either take the damage or damage the gear.

rik
Topic Author

Sun 10 May 2020, 17:03

The pushing mechanic and the differently coloured dice accomplished several things:
Adds risk to the roll
Shows what gets a Bane (attribute/skill/gear/magic) For self-harm or damaged gear purposes

What I suggest is having a good think about how much risk you want in your game. Are Banes supposed to be counted as they appear or is there some form of activator?
To do it all with one colour dice could work if you have the rule that either 1. Any gear takes damage before the character or 2. The player can choose to either take the damage or damage the gear.
The base pushing roll mechanic is fine.
But in fact, for a sci-fi setting where technology has reached remarkable levels, it seems strange to me that the gears can be damaged so easily. So I am looking for an alternative method that does not affect the gear but only the character.

Fenhorn

Sun 10 May 2020, 17:47

Adds risk to the roll

The base pushing roll mechanic is fine.
But in fact, for a sci-fi setting where technology has reached remarkable levels, it seems strange to me that the gears can be damaged so easily. So I am looking for an alternative method that does not affect the gear but only the character.
The OGL rules is very generic. The rules in it comes from various sources in the Year Zero family. Mutant Year Zero (the mother of all Year Zero games) is set in an apocalyptic world, in that world it is quite logic that things break. Alien is set in a futuristic world and not apocalyptic and in that game, gear don't break (normally). I think the idea with OGL is that you cherry pick what you like and add your own rules to that. For this, you could just treat a 1 rolled on the gear dice in a pushed skill roll as a simple jam that takes an action to clear.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

rik
Topic Author

Sun 10 May 2020, 18:38

The OGL rules is very generic. The rules in it comes from various sources in the Year Zero family. Mutant Year Zero (the mother of all Year Zero games) is set in an apocalyptic world, in that world it is quite logic that things break. Alien is set in a futuristic world and not apocalyptic and in that game, gear don't break (normally). I think the idea with OGL is that you cherry pick what you like and add your own rules to that. For this, you could just treat a 1 rolled on the gear dice in a pushed skill roll as a simple jam that takes an action to clear.
1 as jam. It can work.

But I keep looking for a way to not differentiate the dice.

rik
Topic Author

Mon 11 May 2020, 15:13

I have to try this:
each character has two Damage tracks (Coriolis type, one physical and one mental).
When push the roll, all ones are damage taken on a damage track, based on the attribute used (strength / agility physical damage, Wits / Empathy stress damage).