laundryagent
Topic Author

What are your Year Zero plans?

Wed 19 Feb 2020, 20:25

Anyone have any plans on testing this out?

I've got an old Ghostbusters one-shot that I'm going to adapt.  I originally ran it with Savage Worlds, but I've become less enthusiastic about that system as time goes on.  I feel like this would be a great fit for the game. I'm working on incorporating panic dice from Alien, but with a new panic table that matches the lighter tone of the setting.

What are you all thinking about doing with this system?

fmitchell

Re: What are your Year Zero plans?

Thu 20 Feb 2020, 00:31

I've thought about making a Tales from the Loop "retroclone", then applying it to some other setting. Candidates include something like the Hilda series of children's books (sort of kid-friendly Vaesen), adult ghost hunters (also Vaesen-ish but without threats to life and limb), and one where players are immortal "elves" (essentially vaesen) who suffer psychic and social losses but no permanent physical consequences.

Most of the work would be cutting things out, then adding rules for Conditions and whatever the (eventual) setting would need. Attributes and skills might also need renaming, depending on the setting.  I do worry, though, that if I have to cut and/or rewrite too much I'm better off building from scratch.
Frank Mitchell

HILDA: This isn't much of a pep talk. Can't you say, 'you can do it!'
ALFUR: Sure! You can do it! (Statement for encouragement purposes only. You may not actually be able to do it.)
-- Hilda ep. 9 (Netflix, 2018)

Burran

Thu 20 Feb 2020, 10:54

Have had alot of ideas for Year Zero hacks that never gotten anywhere, but these ones are three I would like to create.
Western Year 1878 - Adventure in a fictitious county in the old west
Boppers - A setting based on the Warriors movie, where you create your gang and fight others gangs in the city for power and respect.
Ultra Team Cyber Force - Over the top 80's action ala Far cry Blood dragon/ Kung Fury

The1TrueFredrix

Fri 21 Feb 2020, 15:20

[quote="Burran"]
Have had alot of ideas for Year Zero hacks that never gotten anywhere, but these ones are three I would like to create.
Western Year 1878 - Adventure in a fictitious county in the old west[/quote]

We are (slowly) creating a western themed hack, working title: Tales of the Old West, originally set in 1880. Shortly going to be at version 0.3.
Why did you choose ‘78?
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Burran

Fri 21 Feb 2020, 18:56

We are (slowly) creating a western themed hack, working title: Tales of the Old West, originally set in 1880. Shortly going to be at version 0.3.
Why did you choose ‘78?
Nice! looking forward to seing it when u are ready. And let me know if you want some help or feedback!
The reason to be honest is that it looks nice written out.
But also wanted a year not to far from the civil war

laundryagent
Topic Author

Mon 24 Feb 2020, 18:58

Western Year 1878 - Adventure in a fictitious county in the old west
Boppers - A setting based on the Warriors movie, where you create your gang and fight others gangs in the city for power and respect.
Ultra Team Cyber Force - Over the top 80's action ala Far cry Blood dragon/ Kung Fury
These all sound awesome, especially Kung Fury!   Now I'm thinking Deadlands as well.  

Byrax

Tue 25 Feb 2020, 14:40

Someone did a Hogwarts hack on Tales. https://www.beastsofwar.com/role-playin ... -the-loop/

Looking forward to a Wild West take. 

And a Cyberpunk, Conan, Pulp (based on the Old Ones) and maybe Star Wars hack.
Last edited by Byrax on Wed 04 Mar 2020, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

Byrax

Thu 27 Feb 2020, 17:26

Also, a viking hack. Both "real" viking (no myth/magic) and mythic Norse. PS I am aware of Nordsaga, but development seems to have stalled a little bit.

Byrax

Wed 04 Mar 2020, 15:00

Why not a samurai (with/without mythical Japan) hack as well? Okko would be a perfect setting.

Byrax

Thu 16 Apr 2020, 15:28

I also wanna see a "light" (Tales, not Forbidden) low-level fairy tale fantasy take on a world similar to Astrid Lindgren's tales (Lionheart, Mio, Ronja) and maybe Narnia and similar worlds. A fantasy world existing as a "Land Beyond" our own, where you can end up after bad experiences in the real world.