kbender

Re: Year Zero Engine

Fri 29 Nov 2019, 17:14

I have send a request to Fria Ligan, if it is OK. It could be nice to have all translations in the same place. And of course your Polish translation is welcomed
Hi,
It is a great Idea, I have also sent question regarding translation to the Fria Ligan, let's see what they say...

fmitchell

Thu 09 Jan 2020, 11:52

I have a question on YZE OGL: the engine is the base system, but can a specific rule by another game be used under the OGL?
While I'm neither an employee of Fria Ligan nor any sort of copyright expert, I think it's permissible to reproduce rules in your own words under normal copyright, at least in the U.S.. (Copying text from copyrighted rules, on the other hand, is plagiarism and a big no no.)

If a word, phrase, or block of text is listed as "Product Identity", then under the OGL you can't use it ... but Product Identity is usually listed at the beginning of the document (EDIT: or the license at the end), and all I see in the YZE document is boiler plate for someone else to insert their own Product Identity.  For safety's sake you might want to avoid specific terms from other games, e.g. "Dark Between The Stars"; call it something else. "Action Points" is a general term used in unrelated RPGs, so it might pass muster.
Frank Mitchell

HILDA: This isn't much of a pep talk. Can't you say, 'you can do it!'
ALFUR: Sure! You can do it! (Statement for encouragement purposes only. You may not actually be able to do it.)
-- Hilda ep. 9 (Netflix, 2018)

rik

Thu 09 Jan 2020, 14:12

I have a question on YZE OGL: the engine is the base system, but can a specific rule by another game be used under the OGL?
While I'm neither an employee of Fria Ligan nor any sort of copyright expert, I think it's permissible to reproduce rules in your own words under normal copyright, at least in the U.S.. (Copying text from copyrighted rules, on the other hand, is plagiarism and a big no no.)

If a word, phrase, or block of text is listed as "Product Identity", then under the OGL you can't use it ... but Product Identity is usually listed at the beginning of the document (EDIT: or the license at the end), and all I see in the YZE document is boiler plate for someone else to insert their own Product Identity.  For safety's sake you might want to avoid specific terms from other games, e.g. "Dark Between The Stars"; call it something else. "Action Points" is a general term used in unrelated RPGs, so it might pass muster.

Ok, I’ll work on this project :)

kbender

Tue 14 Jan 2020, 00:45

Got my translation to polish ready - I just want to make one re-read and to ask someone else to check it (to fix all the things I've missed).

Still no answer from FL-staff if it's legal or not, but... I'll assume if it's my non-commercial translation...

Tomas
Site Admin

Tue 14 Jan 2020, 16:51

Ok, I’ll work on this project :)
Hi!

Yes, it's fine to create your own version of rules from other YZG games not included in the OGL, but not to copy them word by word. Only text in the OGL may be copied word by word.

As for the translations of the OGL - sure, go ahead. :)
Fria Ligan

kbender

Tue 21 Jan 2020, 20:36

Great news Tomas!

thibaultmey

Wed 12 Feb 2020, 12:21

Hey, it's been a long time since I've given any sign of life!

The French translation is almost complete. Only one chapter remains to be translated (Combat & Damage) and the proofreading has already started for the other chapters.

I think I'll be able to give a Google Doc public link soon.

Daïna

Sat 15 Feb 2020, 19:42

The French translation is almost complete. [...]

I think I'll be able to give a Google Doc public link soon.
Please do! I'm very interested, since all my players aren't fluent in English. ;) Merci !

thibaultmey

Tue 18 Feb 2020, 21:45

Hi,

Here are the links to the various to the French version of the document. The first phase of the translation is complete. There is still the phase of proofreading / correction to be done. The links below allow you to consult the documents in "comment / suggestion" mode, do not hesitate if you detect translation errors.

JacKac

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 07:58

Got my translation to polish ready - I just want to make one re-read and to ask someone else to check it (to fix all the things I've missed).

Still no answer from FL-staff if it's legal or not, but... I'll assume if it's my non-commercial translation...

Is there a chance to see this translation?