kbender

Re: Year Zero Engine

Wed 22 Jul 2020, 16:03

Oberion

Sat 24 Oct 2020, 01:49

Hi

Sorry but im a bit dim when it comes to all the legal jargon and dos and do nots. just need to get things straight in my head.

1. We can use the OGL to create our own settings, as long as we dont reference existing free League settings?
2. When it comes to character stats labels do i have to use whats in the OGL or could i borrow from say whats written in coriolis or alien rpg
3. Are we allowed to borrow talents, upgrades, equipment etc from other free league settings as long as we reword/reflavour them?

Oberion

Sat 24 Oct 2020, 02:20

Another stupid question...

I know what OGL stands for but what does SRD stand for, and where can i find it?

Rymdhamster

Sat 24 Oct 2020, 17:22

Another stupid question...

I know what OGL stands for but what does SRD stand for, and where can i find it?
"System reference document".

It's basically a stand alone document containing all the rules that are covered by the OGL.

Lets see if this link is allowed to remain: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Reference_Document

Otherwise you can google system reference document, or search wikipedia for it.

Oberion

Sun 25 Oct 2020, 12:47

@rymdhamster - cheers for that

Another stupid question for the community - once i use the OGL to create my own setting/game would i then pass it thru free league just to make sure everything is above board, so i can proceed further. Just so i dont do all the work and forget to leave something out or missed used something.

lupex

Sun 25 Oct 2020, 13:42

Ok, here's my take:

1) As per the OGL you cannot reference Free League settings unless given express permission (as was the case with the YZE Bestiary).
2) You can use whatever labels you want as long as it isn't specific product identity, so just ensure you are using generic terms, such as Dexterity for Agility etc.
3) You can use talents and skills or equipment, as long as they are not 100% setting specific or product identity. Just don not use the wording used in the Free League book.

You do not have to get permission from Free League as the OGL gives you permission to make Year Zero Engine games, as long as you stick to the terms of the OGL. The YZE bestiary was slightly different as it originally started as a third party product for Forbidden Lands but due to some mutual issues it was better to publish as a YZE supplement but the Forbidden Lands terms are used with permission from Free League.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Gollum

Sat 14 May 2022, 20:37

Hello everyone!

I've got a question about the rule and wonder whether it is the good place to ask it. If not, don't hesitate to redirect me.

My question is this one: but why is the craft skill based on Strength?

Everything else sounds just fine, except that. I could possibly understand it for hard craft skills like masonry or carpentry ... But for every craft skill? it sounds a bit weird.
What can I explain to my players?

Fenhorn

Sat 14 May 2022, 20:43

Hello everyone!

I've got a question about the rule and wonder whether it is the good place to ask it. If not, don't hesitate to redirect me.

My question is this one: but why is the craft skill based on Strength?

Everything else sounds just fine, except that. I could possibly understand it for hard craft skills like masonry or carpentry ... But for every craft skill? it sounds a bit weird.
What can I explain to my players?
This is an OGL, you are supposed to change and adjust things that you don't like so they fit whatever game you plan to base on this. The has sprung from the survival game Mutant Year Zero, even though elements from other of FLs games is in it as well. From a players point of view, most things you build in that kind of game are hardcore survival things.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Gollum

Sat 14 May 2022, 21:07

Thank you very much for that very quick and interesting answer. It makes sense, indeed.

I've got another question, please. Is there any Fria Ligan's game in which skills are not based on a fixed attribute but can switch from one attribute to the other, depending on what the PC exactly does?

To explain what I mean, some RPGs let you make a Strength + Fight roll when you try to hit your enemy as hard as possible, an Agility + Fight roll when you try to hit him as quickly as possible, a Wits + Fight skill when you try to know what kind of martial art he is practicing, an Empathy + Fight roll when you try to know whether he will attack and to react immediately, and so on ... that gives much more flexibility, makes much more sense, and would be very easy to do with the Year Zero Engine.

Fenhorn

Sat 14 May 2022, 21:47

I've got another question, please. Is there any Fria Ligan's game in which skills are not based on a fixed attribute but can switch from one attribute to the other, depending on what the PC exactly does?
<>
In Mutant: Year Zero, the Dog Handler his skill level in Sic a Dog (i.e. his dog training skill) with various attribute, even the dogs attribute sometimes. In Twilight 2000, the skill Heavy Weapon uses Agility when you shoot with a heavy weapon that is mounted, you use strength if you use a hand-held heavy weapon and you use Intelligence if you use the skill with artillery weapons. There are also talents in some games that alter what attribute you use.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore