Sorry but im a bit dim when it comes to all the legal jargon and dos and do nots. just need to get things straight in my head.
1. We can use the OGL to create our own settings, as long as we dont reference existing free League settings?
2. When it comes to character stats labels do i have to use whats in the OGL or could i borrow from say whats written in coriolis or alien rpg
3. Are we allowed to borrow talents, upgrades, equipment etc from other free league settings as long as we reword/reflavour them?
Another stupid question for the community - once i use the OGL to create my own setting/game would i then pass it thru free league just to make sure everything is above board, so i can proceed further. Just so i dont do all the work and forget to leave something out or missed used something.
1) As per the OGL you cannot reference Free League settings unless given express permission (as was the case with the YZE Bestiary).
2) You can use whatever labels you want as long as it isn't specific product identity, so just ensure you are using generic terms, such as Dexterity for Agility etc.
3) You can use talents and skills or equipment, as long as they are not 100% setting specific or product identity. Just don not use the wording used in the Free League book.
You do not have to get permission from Free League as the OGL gives you permission to make Year Zero Engine games, as long as you stick to the terms of the OGL. The YZE bestiary was slightly different as it originally started as a third party product for Forbidden Lands but due to some mutual issues it was better to publish as a YZE supplement but the Forbidden Lands terms are used with permission from Free League.