Kastor
Topic Author

Characters from Alberetor

Thu 30 Dec 2021, 01:05

Im starting my first Symbaroum adventure with promised land feom the core rb and want all characters to have background from Alberetor, never having been in Ambria, and know little of what awaits. In the Foundry VTT module, many of the ready made characters for that adventure are either barbarian, witches or old folk (ogre, changeling, goblin), player races and classes not likely to have an Alberetor origin? Are all refugees from Alberetor human (and non-barbarian/witches) ?

twilight

Re: Characters from Alberetor

Thu 20 Jan 2022, 18:51

Probably. There may be more information (or not) in Haunted Wastes. The only possible exception I could see would be maybe goblins.

Falenthal

Fri 21 Jan 2022, 08:43

When I've run that adventure, I forced all my players to have human characters, using the ambrian background (which would be the same as for an alberetorian).
I filled them with little information about what Ambria was all about, just about the effects of war in Alberetor, and promises and stories about Ambria. This way, the first times they encountered a goblin or ogre or elf, etc was a special one: the players, having the usual "fantasy rpg" background where goblins and ogres where bad, and elves good, were as surprised as their characters would be. The same applies to undead (Mal-rogan being a speaking, thinking adversary). In this case, the metaknowledge of the players helped inmerse in their characters.

I need to add that, both times that I've GMed Symbaroum for a series of adventures, I've planned the campaign in the form of "chapters", where the players could change their characters at some points, thus allowing the introduction of other races as playable, but only once they were "unlocked" during gameplay by their humans from Alberetor.

Vader

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 10:54

Bit of a non sequitur ... but I can't help but wonder if "Alberetor" being an anagram for "Ereb Altor" is intentional or coincidental...?
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Mikosevar

Tue 15 Feb 2022, 23:12

Im about to run Promised Land too and windered about the same.
In the end, i decided to let them create what they want, with the only ruke being that if they're not Ambrian, they need to be from the area just across the Titans and have travelled south with a group to offer their services to caravans crossing the mountains.
I also asked them to work it so their characters have little knowledge of Thistle Hold, Yndaros etc, so it is all new to the whole group.
Contacts were definitely recommended