bpainevtusa
Topic Author

Which books next?

Tue 13 Apr 2021, 19:13

Hi there,
I'm diving in to Symbaroum. I've ordered a core book from my FLGS. I'm wondering which books to order next. I'm probably going to push toward Throne of Thorns - whether I start with it or not - so I'll probably get Wrath of the Warden anyway. Various pods and YouTube reviews suggest either the Monster Codex or the GM Guide first, followed by the Adv Players Guide as first purchases. Would I need those before Throne - or can Wrath of the Warden be run without those.

Let's face it - I WILL own them all soon - I'm fooling myself into believing that I can slowly wade into the gentle arms of the Davokar - easy and quiet-like.

Cheers!
-Bill
"Perhaps it is because I am afraid, and he gives me courage."

ChrilleT

Re: Which books next?

Tue 13 Apr 2021, 19:34

We played Copper Crown and Wrath of Warden before we got the monster codex and GM Guide. The Copper Crown and the Adventure packs can be a little hard to get physical now but they are available as PDF. The GM Guide is good and has many tips and tricks but if you are playing the written adventures I would wait with that and get the monster manual and one book with adventures to begin with. I would probably even buy the Advanced Players guide before the GM Guide if beginning all over. Copper Crown is loosely based on Throne Of Thorns so if you ever gonna play CC it´s best to do it before Throne Of Thorns start. It´s also recommended to start Throne Of Thorns a little more experienced so you could either play a few adventures before or give your players some more experience points from the start. However if you plan to make some own adventures I would go with the GM Guide early on.

bpainevtusa
Topic Author

Wed 21 Apr 2021, 15:43

Thank you, ChrilleT - I think we may have chatted about this on Discord, but I appreciate your advice. I have the APG, Monster Codex, and Thistle Hold coming. I'm looking at some of the PDF adventure packs to start with - per your thoughts about experience.

Thanks,
-Bill

ChrilleT

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 07:13

Yes that was me on Discord as well. Those books are a good start!

Falenthal

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 07:46

I agree with ChrilleT fully.
Although you already have gotten yourself great books, just for the record here are my 2 cents.
The Core Book has more than enough rules options and lore to get you going for a long time. So, in my opinion, The Copper Crown is the best 2nd book (or PDF) to purchase. It offers the best example of how to run Symbaroum and an introduction to Thistle Hold and Davokar.
After that, I'd go with the Throne of Thorns books and the Adventure packs, all in order. They don't only provide adventures, they also work as regional guides and advance the events of the timeline, as if reading chapters of a book.
The APG, GM Guide and Monster Codex are brilliant books to widen your options as GM once you feel confident running Symbaroum, but I would not consider them a priority, at least not during your group's first steps in Ambria.

Rangertheman

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 09:31

I fully agree with ChrilleT and Falenthal!

Slight disclaimer though: The further you delve into the Throne of Thorns, the more references you will see to the APG. So it might be good for the GM to have it.
Proofreader Extraordinaire

Falenthal

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 10:04

The further you delve into the Throne of Thorns, the more references you will see to the APG. So it might be good for the GM to have it.
Absolutely true, too. And as you indirectly point out, Rangertheman, I personally consider the APG a better book for the GM than for the players, mainly because of all the background lore it gives about the more 'mysterious' races (trolls, elves and dwarves), ocuppations (staff mages, singing trolls, runic warriors) and even the origins of mankind. Even the rules added there seem more appropiate for the GM to select which ones to include, than for the players to freely use at their own will.

bpainevtusa
Topic Author

Mon 26 Apr 2021, 15:25

Thank you, everyone! Very helpful advice!