Falenthal
Topic Author

[House rules] Journeys through Davokar

Sat 06 Mar 2021, 21:12

I've made some house-rules for groups travelling through Davokar or difficult regions of Ambria.
My intention was to have some guides to consider the preparations for such an expedition and how to play the fatigue and dangers of such an endeavour.
This rules draw heavily from the ones from The One Ring and I've tried to be as true to the considerations from the various books of Symbaroum as possible.
My concern with the official rules is that they rely too much on tables and generating random events on the fly, which for me drags the rhythm of the game.

Hope you can find some help in these rules:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rvq5PE ... sp=sharing

ShardCollector

Re: [House rules] Journeys through Davokar

Sat 04 Jun 2022, 08:59

Thank you

The only problem out group found is that you can only travel 20 km by foot per the rules and it seems you haven't adjusted that either? Seems like awfully short distance.

As people were accustomed to travel by foot they could walk at least six hours per day with some food and rest in between. With walking pace of 5 km/h that makes 30 kilometers per day on a decent road.

What do you think about this?

Falenthal
Topic Author

Re: [House rules] Journeys through Davokar

Tue 07 Jun 2022, 14:47

First, let me thank you for taking the time to read through the rules and comment them!

Regarding the distance travelled, I've prefered to stick to what the rulebook says. I'm no expert at hicking and don't have a personal criteria to adjust that. Also, I prefer to make calculations easier and faster than to be absolutely true to reality. To me, the main goal of the rules is to simulate the fatigue and hardness of journeying through Davokar, not to calculate the exact amount of time it woud take in real life; that is, I'm more than willing to sacrifice realism if that helps us to focus in the hazards of the travel, by avoiding long calculations. As the map I use is divided in hexes that represent 20km, then that speed makes everything smoother.

That said, I've also read many arguments saying that it's not the same to calculate the distance a modern person can walk by foot, with perfectly fit and designed backpacks, training in hicking, no weapons or armours or loads of treasure and not needing to beware of their surroundings out of fear for barbarian attacks, etc. A usual group of adventurer's might also include a weak loremaster that doesn't endure much more than a few hours of walk without falling to the ground, rations are scarce and need to be replenished, paths aren't marked, etc.

But mainly, my take on this is to make the rules calculations as smooth and fast as possible. Of course, if you'd like to change that, I don't think the rules would "suffer" from it, as the number of Hazards found during a journey depend on the number of days passed in Davokar, not in the distance travelled. In very long journeys, there might be a difference of one or two less hazards overall. But I don't think that should be very significant.