JonHook
Topic Author

Symbaroum Starter Box Set?

Fri 21 Aug 2020, 03:07

I'm curious if there has been any word about a Symbaroum Starter Box Set? I'd be very interested in one, should it be created.
- Jon Hook
Game Designer & Podcaster

Falenthal

Re: Symbaroum Starter Box Set?

Fri 21 Aug 2020, 07:46

I'm always on the fence regarding Starter Boxed Sets: first of all, because I'm usually only interested in Starter Sets from the games I already play. So, everything regarding lighter rules-version, pregen characters, summarized explaining of the world, etc are of no real use to me. It's just the little extras (custom dice, maps, tokens,...) that catch my eye.

That said, I think a Symbaroum Starter Box could be of interest for Fria Ligan once their 5e adaptation is fully developed. The Starter Box could then contain both rules set, those for 5e that just want to give a try to this new setting, and the original Symbaroum ones. This way, 5e players and GMs could take a look at the Symbaroum rules, see that they are not hard or so different from what they know, and could give it a try. I think, in that regard, the Starter Set's commercial objective should be more aimed at porting players and GMs from D&D to Symbaroum, than to introduce new people to Symbaroum directly.

Rangertheman

Fri 21 Aug 2020, 10:44

It's in the works but I can't remember any ETA. Maybe this winter? Mattias Johnsson Haake talked about it in their latest podcast. I think it's to be called Symbaroum - Treasures of Davokar or something like that. Maybe Ruins of Davokar? I hope it will give new GMs/players some insight into the depths of Symbaroum and not just focus on the treasure hunting/dungeon-delving aspect of the game. To be honest, that's my least favorite part of the game.
Proofreader Extraordinaire

Falenthal

Fri 18 Sep 2020, 21:04

New info coming from the Reddit forum:

"We will run a pre-purchase campaign later this year, and alpha PDFs will follow soon there after. Delivery to pre-purchasers is probably early next year, after which the boxes should hit the shelves in late Q1 2021."

And also:
"...this is for original Symba, and mainly meant for newcomers. You who are already playing the game will not find much you haven't seen before = two [new] adventure locations (+A3 maps), the new stat block design (similar to the monster cards) and the "Corrupted Nature Dice Set"."

Let me repeat one thing, just in case you missed it... "¡¡¡CORRUPTED NATURE DICE SET!!!"