cefriberg
Topic Author

Cronological order of adventures

Fri 07 Aug 2020, 16:35

What is the optimal cronological order to run the various modules and adventure packs, with regard to the timeline in the Throne of Thorns chronicle?
So far we have played "The promised land" and will continue with "The mark of the beast". Before "Tomb of Dying dreams" I would like to play some other adventures (some of them as flashbacks between promised land and the mark). Which of the adventure packs can be fittet in there?

Which order should ToT part 1-4 and Advenventure packs 1-4 be played in (chronological)?

Thanks!

Falenthal

Re: Cronological order of adventures

Fri 07 Aug 2020, 22:55

All Adventure packs and Throne of Thorns campaign books have been released in a chronological order also "campaign-wise". That is, you can play the third installment (Yndaros) alongside the Adventure pack 3, for example. The political movements that take place in grand scale in the ToT campaign are motives that set things in motion in the smaler Adventure pack's adventures.

That said, some adventures from the Adventure packs can easily be adapted to any moment in the story of Ambria: there have always been fanatical templars, or anti-ambrian barbarians, or whatever. It is not necessary for the Templars to split from the Church to justify the appearance of Sun Knights calling for justice in the name of Prios somewhere.

Thomas Lind

Sun 22 Nov 2020, 15:29

Its hard work trying to get an olympian overview of the Symbaroum adventures and campaigns: My players have just completed the introductory adventure (part one of The Copper Crown) and thus have just crossed The Titans. Now it seems like an obvious, great idea to play The Howling of Damned Gods (first adventure in Adventure Pack 3) as this takes place at Prios Pass. But I’m worried that it is too early to play it. Not having read The Throne of Thorns campaign I’m afraid that the plot in The Howling is somehow entangled with the plot therein. Therefore this cry for help: Can I play The Howling before part two of the Copper Crown and before having even begun The Throne of Thorns?

Nyarlath

Mon 07 Dec 2020, 20:35

Hello,
I would advice NOT to use The Howling of Damned Gods adventure that early in the campaign... really not goes with the way I see the early part of the adventures...
I have run and start 3 times this game and that is how and why I have done it that way (always went right).
I started like in the book with Promised land and try to put the biggest highlight on the refugee feeling, so I create a little adventure in the camps of Prios Pass (using the information in The Howling of Damned Gods adventure) just to make the characters use there strengths to try to impress ambrian authorities and allows them to cross the river.
Then I continued with Mark of the beast, and in the end of the killing of the serial killer I give the players the opportunity to buy the school of Master Vernam to give them permanent access to Thristle Hold and give them debts to reimburse... (1 of my groups refuse but the 2 other accept and it helps). Then 1 or 2 little expeditions in Davokar (using material on Adventure pack 1 and in Secret of the warden).
After a little increase of the power of the skull I continued with the last part of the copper crown campaign.
Then again 1 to 3 treasures / beasts hunts in Davokar (using random generation, the Monster codex and 2 times playing the combo The Fever of the Hunt - The bell tolls for Kastor. I also always give 1 or 2 game sessions in Thristle Hold for prepping expeditions or selling stuffs...
And then I started the big campaign with the events of Thristle Hold that really creates a particular felling for the players who knew well the city. I also take advantage of the events to kill 1 or 2 not necessary NPC created following requests of the players.
After finishing the Wrath of the Warden I once again starts with 1 or 2 expeditions in a bit more darker Davokar (with a list 1 top in Karvosti) (I used some of the Adventures locations there). Here I also used how the characters interact with the different factions to make them fill there choices have impact on them...
At this point one group wanted to have little more in town adventures so we played The Howling of Damned Gods and the City adventures before going back to the tracks and starting The Witch Hammer (the way they went to Karvosti wasn't really satisfying for me but the players didn't complain). With the other groups I started the previously mentioned adventures after the end of The Witch Hammer...
That's mutch it for now. Could let know how it goes after that if some are interested.

cefriberg
Topic Author

Sat 26 Dec 2020, 16:09

Thank you all, and thanks for the very elaborate order of adventures Nyarlath. I've just postet the following in the GM forum, but i guess here would be just as good :)

What year and season should the various Chronicles be set in? I am planning the campaign, and without reading through everything I would like to get an idea of how much space for homebrew in between the episodes I can put in. So what are the written places in the timeline? And what is more flexible?