The Dread Polack
Topic Author

[Moved] Should shields be better?

Wed 10 Jun 2020, 21:43

I've always thought shields were under-powered in RPGs. Most of the time, people don't even use them in favor of doing more damage via a two-handed weapon or two-weapon wielding.

Putting aside the realism of this (historically, shields were very common because they were very effective, while two-weapon wielding was pretty rare because it isn't), I feel like it should be a difficult choice whether or not to use a shield. The extra damage done should be balanced by the added defense a shield provides. Having not yet played a game and admitting I don't know the repercussions of this, I think a shield should give a bonus of at least 2 to defense. A modest rough proposal would be as follows:

When you look at the Shield Fighter and Twin Attack abilities, Twin Fighters using a parrying dagger are just as defensive as a Shield fighter with a regular shield, plus they get an extra attack. Shield fighters get slightly more damage with their main weapon, and twin fighters have to subtract armor for both hits, so it's probably a wash. The offensive abilities granted by Shield Fighter probably make the two abilities close to equal overall, but I personally still feel like shields should be better than parrying daggers, and people should primarily want to use shields defensively, rather than offensively.

Do you think an overall +1 defense bonus to all shields is fair??????

jerichojeudy

Re: Should shields be better?

Mon 15 Jun 2020, 17:02

This is the Coriolis forum, you should ask in the Symbaroum forum.

Fenhorn

Re: [Moved] Should shields be better?

Mon 15 Jun 2020, 17:22

Moderator Action: Moved thread to a more appropriate place.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Falenthal

Re: [Moved] Should shields be better?

Mon 15 Jun 2020, 19:40

I think that the +1 is fair, specially since a character who is going to always use a shield will at some point buy the Shield-fighter Ability and get a +2 quickly.
Probably the problem you feel come more from the Twin Attack bonus than from the shield's one.

I haven't noticed any problem for now with the defenses, and no player has complained about it.
My 2 cents to try to help ease your concerns :D