BiG89
Topic Author

Symbaroum with FL rules?

Tue 25 Feb 2020, 21:07

Hello!
Is anyone playing Symbaroum with the rules from forbidden lands? If so what are your experience?
With the new hex-map for Davokar I imagine the FL rules would work great?
Best regards

Valyar

Re: Symbaroum with FL rules?

Thu 27 Feb 2020, 08:31

I don't think Symbaroum is suitable for hex-crawling style of play. Too much number crunching and repetitions happen in such games and I prefer my Symbaroum games to be like a book - characters move from place to place and from encounter to encounter, without diluting the sessions with empty turns or non-important for the story encounters. 

It is of course subjective, but for me each game brings its own style of play and FL is perfect with the Stronghold rules, resource gathering and hex-crawling, while Symbaroum is having completely different focus.

Mcgregor

Fri 28 Feb 2020, 14:16

I'm using it and much better than the original Symbaroum rules, at least for us

Rangertheman

Sat 29 Feb 2020, 14:36

Converting Symbaroum archetypes into FL classes and Symbaroum abilities into FL talents should be easy enough. The major missing piece would be the corruption mechanism. Perhaps use some sort of stress dice (Alien RPG) hack for Mystical abilities/talents? 

Another really major missing piece would be the feel/flavor of the Symbaroum game. Like @Valyar said, the focus is very different between the games. FL is much crunchier than Symbaroum, where the rules almost become transparent at times. FL is great for hex crawling, Symbaroum isn't. That being said, I'm quite sure you can get Symbaroum to work with FL rules if you really want to.
Proofreader Extraordinaire